Multimeters

Status
Not open for further replies.

templdl

Don,
I probably extended myself a bit when I implied that tools are used by some to impress and referred to them as being mystical.
I doubt if there are any of us who purchase tools with the intent of impressing others.
But, with all practicality even though I have this Super duper Cat III Fuke 26 with a number of bells and whistles where in most cases a wiggy would work just fine when checking for power and a wiggy is a lot less expensive.
But, I must admit one has arrived when you have your very own person high quality DMM. Is the need for a DMM driven by seeing that others have them and that?s a weapon that you should put in your holster? Maybe so. But hopefully it is because of the need for accuracy, the extremely high impedance ohms/volt sensitivity, and the ability actually measure resistance and current.
1) Does one need the ohms/volt sensitivity? Is it need by the electrician.
2) How often do you need to know the exact resistance when all that you are checking for is continuity. A DMM is an expensive way to do it. When was the last time you had to know what the exact resistance was?
3) Then the ammeter. Without a clamp on ammeter accessory most DMMs are not able to measure over 10a anyway.
A lot of this depends upon what type of work is being done. Often times DMMs are a necessity when troubleshooting.
Even though it has never been my intent to "impress" clients with this fancy DMM one has to admit that they do look a heck of a lot more impressive than the lowly wiggy and we feel a bit more high tech in using it.
But I will be the first one to admit that I just like my toys.
Dave

big john

Lithium1994,

As far as diagnostic equipment goes, I would recommend the Vol-Con Elite before anything else. It's an electronic version of the "Wiggys" everyone is talking about. I have a really nice Fluke 79 multimeter with a bunch of bells and whistles, but I almost never get to use it because most of the problems I run into in residential and commercial work can be solved with my Vol-Con tester. Something to consider before you run out and spend $150-350 on a multimeter.

But if you're dead set on having a meter, Fluke Series 7 multimeters are the next step up from simple testers like my Vol-Con. The Fluke Series 7's will actually give you a digital reading of voltage and resistance, instead of just an indicator light and a continuity beeper. These are bare-bones multimeters, but they have some good safety features and they're relatively cheap at about $75 bucks.

Figure out what you're really gonna be using the meter for, and that definitely helps to weed out the ones with a lot of unnecessary functions.

-John

EDIT: I just read the post above me and realised that templdl said almost the exact same thing I did. I wasn't trying to repeat you, I swear! :wink:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
John,
It's an electronic version of the "Wiggys" everyone is talking about.
I'm not sure about the Vol-Con, but many electronic wiggys have the same drawbacks as the DMM. They don't have enough load.
Don

templdl

big john,
Is that an admission of violating my Copyright ? :lol:
I'll give you a free ride but just this once.
Or you can just owe me one as I have a number of screw ups to my name. I'm sure I am still running a negative balance anyway. :oops:
Are we having fun yet?
Dave

big john

don_resqcapt19 said:
...Many electronic wiggys have the same drawbacks as the DMM. They don't have enough load.
Somehow they managed to get around this with the Elite series testers. The specs say the testers have a 1M ohm impedance, but the instructions say it is designed to elminate ghost-readings.

The closest thing I'll get to a ghost-reading is that I will get a dim 24V indicator light and no vibration. Whereas if I were to actually have any current beyond a couple mA the tester will always vibrate. I've never used it in a really noisy industrial enviroment, maybe I would run into false-positives there? :?:
templdl said:
I'll give you a free ride but just this once.
I'll mind my P's and Q's! :D

-John

sparky_magoo

I believe an apprentice is doing hinself a disservice buying a multimeter until he is proficient troubleshooting with a solenoid tester ( I prefer a Knopp to a Wiggy) & a continuity tester. Any troubleshooter must understand the importance of putting a load on the ckt. being tested to eliminate ghost readings.

I love my Fluke 87 multimeter & 337 clampmeter, but I use my Knopp much more often. BTW, I never was a Simpson man. I still have my Triplett 630NA. I used to have Heathkit VTVM. I always lusted after the RCA Senior Voltohmist, but couldn't justify one. Back then I was a tech. working on equipment requiring the use of a high input impedance ohm meter.

templdl

Yes, with the Simpson 260 you really had arrived if you had a 260 with a mirror scale and knife edge indicator. Then you could really eyeball that most accurate reading. It's nice to talk about that older equipment of the '60s and '70s. You really had a good piece of lab equipment when you had that heathkit VTVM. Yes, those were the days. I still have my heathkit 10-12? oscilloscope which I get out once in a while if I want to actually see what a wave form looks like.

lazorko

I'll weigh in with Don. While the bells and whistles available on today's DMM's are great (hey, I have one too) a wiggie is a good starter. I still remember the puzzled look on a young electrician's face after 30 minutes of troubleshooting a lighting circuit with his brand new DMM. Even with the breaker off, there was still 24V! It took some convincing, but the meter stayed in his toolbox more after that.

sparky_magoo

The only problem with the Heathkit VTVM was that it had to be on for a couple of hours before it would give consistant measurements. It was great for bench work, but ineffective in the field.

templdl

Yes, waiting for that VTVM to warm up was just part of the game back when there weren't any other options. You really didn't need to use one in the field anyway using the same arguments as that of the real need for a DMM today which I love having in my arsenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.