Additional Supports for Lay In Fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtester

I've searched the website for information regarding the location in the IBC for the requirement for seismic support of lay in fixtures in a suspended ceiling. I've done lay in lighting for 20 years, and today I got a call from an Architect saying the inspector says it is "code" to require lay in fixtures to be supported independently being fastened to the grid.

Can anyone direct me to the IBC section that is applicable. We're at the end of the IBC code cycle, so I don't understand how a recent code change would be applicable. We've been under the 2003 IBC for 3 years new.

Jim T

raider1

Staff member
Jim,

Take a look at IBC 803.9.1.1

803.9.1.1 Suspended acoustical ceilings. Suspended
acoustical ceiling systems shall be installed in accordance
with the provisions of ASTM C 635 and ASTM C

These standards will direct you to the applicable installation for you seismic zone.

I am located in a seismic zone D1 and we use the CISCA design for seismic zones D1 and D2.

Hope this helps,

Chris

wbalsam1

jtester said:
I've searched the website for information regarding the location in the IBC for the requirement for seismic support of lay in fixtures in a suspended ceiling. I've done lay in lighting for 20 years, and today I got a call from an Architect saying the inspector says it is "code" to require lay in fixtures to be supported independently being fastened to the grid.

Can anyone direct me to the IBC section that is applicable. We're at the end of the IBC code cycle, so I don't understand how a recent code change would be applicable. We've been under the 2003 IBC for 3 years new.

Jim T

Browse through Section 1621 for applicability. He's probably citing 1621.3 and its Table 1621.3 which lists as #9, Lighting Fixtures which have component coefficients spelled out in columns 2 and 3. :) This Table was also in the 2000 IBC.

Last edited:

JohnConnolly

In AZ we must secure lay ins with 2 wires at opposite corners.

I've been told not so much for earthquake as much as firemen tearing grid down. They would prefer to not have the fixtures coming down on them.

No code sections for you, so no REAL help but I just wanted to chime in.

Jim W in Tampa

Its a local thing.I think its too costly but its not up to me.Will say this and its not about fires but about roof leaks.Leaks add water to insulation and without support guess where they land!!!!!!!!!!! OUCH

jtester

Thanks for the info guys. I've read both parts of the IBC, and am looking into ASTM. Some websites mention hangar wires, 2 for fixtures up to 54 pounds, and 4 after, but they reference CISCA earthquake zones 3 and 4. I am in 2 or 2A according to CISCA maps, however the IBC doesn't seem to deal in zones.

I am contacting the inspector to ask for a reference, I want to go into this discussion with as much knowledge as possible.

Thanks again.

Jim T

John Valdes

Occupation
Retired Electrician
Support the fixtures. Improper support of the ceiling grid can be a problem.
I remember one time when changing out some tubes the fixture fell on my head. I did not install that fixture, but now I always support the ones I put up.

dduffee260

Dosen't Erico Caddy make a small attachment device that attaches to the ceiling wire with a slip latch then hooks to the fixture? I thought they did but they were kind of pricey. But if you had to attach the fixtures and the deck is 10ft above a closed ceiling it would be worth it.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
dduffee260,

I believe your looking fo a 515 "earthquake clip".

cadpoint

The Triangle

The Triangle

I not only have to use the Wire to ceil, but it must be marked with a tape flag, for the inspectors easy sighting, so others trades don't grab the wire and proof that we installed our own.

eprice

jtester,

They don't make it easy to get to the information. You have to follow the trail through three books to get to the answer. In the 2003 IBC, Section 1621 referes you to ASCE 7. Section 9.6.2.6 of that document covers suspended ceilings. From there, it depends on the seismic design category. For seismic design category C, 9.6.2.6.2.1 requires that CISCA recommendations for sismic zones 0 - 2 be used. For seismic design categories D, E, and F, CISCA recommendations for seismic zones 3 - 4 are to be followed. I am only familiar with CISCA for zones 3 - 4, which requires the fixtures to be securely fastened to the grid and to be supported by at least two additonal No. 12 hanger wires. I am not sure what CISCA for 0 - 2 requires.

Jim W in Tampa

Simply make 2 phone calls ,fire chief and inspector.You will need to make both happy.Its not right but this is how to pass.Perhaps its near lunch time,not saying anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.