Generators

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it when I plug a tool into my 3000w generator it works fine but when I plug it into my 5000w generator it doesn't get up to full speed? It's a cutting tool and it doesn't happen with all tools.

iwire

Staff member
First thing I would do is break out a true RMS meter and check both the voltage and frequency of the 5000 watt unit.

I bet your not even close to 60 cycles.

SG-1

It may have a control unit that idles it back if no load is present. The load that the cutting tool is presenting to the 5KW generator may not be enough for it to recognize. More load may be required for proper operation.

techntrek

It may have a control unit that idles it back if no load is present. The load that the cutting tool is presenting to the 5KW generator may not be enough for it to recognize. More load may be required for proper operation.

+1, although you'd think a "cutting tool" would be large enough. But the "cutting tool" could be a Dremel...

Try adding a 60w incandescent bulb, or a small electric heater. That should "wake it up".

When it's plugged in, I turn the idol off of automatic so it doesn't idol and it still isn't working like it should. It's just weird that it works on the other smaller generators just fine.

SG-1

When it's plugged in, I turn the idol off of automatic so it doesn't idol and it still isn't working like it should. It's just weird that it works on the other smaller generators just fine.

I suppose it could be the type of motor used for the cutting tool is causing that particular regulator problems.

Tried the light bulb/heater suggestion by techntrek yet ?

hurk27

Is the generator a inverter output?

If so it is because it puts out a modified sign wave, and brush motors will run much slower.

I had a Honda, that had this feature.

They are design to run electronic loads, not motors;)

hurk27

Status
Not open for further replies.