Pulling solid wire thru conduit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

I know above a certain AWG it has to be stranded. I got a spool of solid, green 12awg . I want to use up. Is it ok to use it in conduit? Thank you.

480sparky

IIRC, the largest solid conductor is #8 for that application.

Im too lazy to look it up for sure.

~Matt

HoltBlueDot.jpg

zappy

Thanks guys, your some cool cats!

Thanks guys, your some cool cats!

Na nothing more, just don't want to get dinged by the inspector for pulling solid. So was it 8awg and larger has to be solid?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I dont know, Im STILL too lazy to look it up, but I believe anything larger than #8 HAS to be stranded.

~Matt

Conductors larger than #10 AWG must be stranded if pulled into a conduit. #8 AWG in a raceway must be stranded.

Don S.

A spool of green solid!!! You?re living in luxury. In the ?good old days? solid wire came in square cardboard boxes, which if the box wasn?t damaged by rain or rough handling, you might get the wire out without a bunch of kinks in it. By the way these kinks were referred to by a term with the same initials as Air Handler.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Read my quote again, it say larger than #10 must be stranded. :)

when was this code made? A long while ago, I pulled out solid #8s. I believe it was TW and was NOT easy to get out of the 3/4 conduit.

~Matt

The oldest book I have is from 1987 and says:

310-3 Stranded Conductors. Where installed in raceways, condcutors of size No. 8 and larger shall be stranded.

Status
Not open for further replies.