Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Island receptacles

Island receptacles

The city I work for requires a second island receptacle on Islands that exceed 4 feet. We require this because the area that faces the the living area is what we feel to be wall space. "Wall space over 2 feet requires a receptacle" My question is; is this correct or our we being unresonable?

Re: Island receptacles

I think it's the AHJ's call as to weather to consider it wall space. I usually just put them in just in case.
    Sam, San Francisco Bay Area

I just noticed you're an inspector.

I'll add that if people are going to be seated at that island I personally would rather there not be a receptacle there.

IMO, a kitchen island is not wallspace.

I think he's talking about the side of an island or peninsula facing a living room for instance.

nascar03,

I suspect that the island you are describing is in a specific set of room configurations that would exclude, say, a kitchen that has four walls around it yet incorporates an island in it.

When the cabinetry is used to clearly divide the kitchen area from the living area, then, IMO, the cabinetry is arguably a wall space, 210(A)(2)(3)
    Another Al in Minnesota

This would be open to the AHJ's interpretation. I suppose I can see the usefulness of having an extra receptacle there, but I can't really see the need for it from any other standpoint other than that. Is there a reason other than the wallspace interpretation that AHJ's would require this?

Edit: Found wall space def.

[ December 07, 2004, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: wirenut1980 ]

My opinion is that a wall extends from floor to ceiling, especially since I seem to recall that in a couple places it refers to both walls and partitions, implying they are not the same thing.
    Bob

I've got an ilustrated guide to the NEC that's every bit as good as the handbook and it didn't take a position. It points out the lack of a clear definition.

In 210.52(C)(2)-(3)-(4) I see no place where a inspector could require an extra receptacle because of "wall space" In (4) it would be required to install another receptacle if the Island or Peninsular counter space is divided by something as in the list but to require it otherwise?

(2) Island Counter Spaces. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed at each island counter space with a long dimension of 600 mm (24 in.) or greater and a short dimension of 300 mm (12 in.) or greater.

(3) Peninsular Counter Spaces. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed at each peninsular counter space with a long dimension of 600 mm (24 in.) or greater and a short dimension of 300 mm (12 in.) or greater. A peninsular counter top is measured from the connecting edge.

(4) Separate Spaces. Counter top spaces separated by range tops, refrigerators, or sinks shall be considered as separate counter top spaces in applying the requirements of 210.52(C)(1), (2), and (3).
    [ December 07, 2004, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]
    Wayne A. From: N.W.Indiana
    Be Fair, Be Safe
    Just don't be fairly safe