2008 draft arc fault question

Status
Not open for further replies.

joesparky

As I read the NEC 2008 draft, it looks to me that ALL 15 and 20 amp residential branch circuits will be required to be ARC fault. So that must mean that any 220 volt 15 or 20 amp circuits (like A/C) will be required to be arc fault. And what about all the circuits now required to be GFCI (bath, kitchen, outside, etc.)-they will now have to be arc fault also? I heard, but have not seen that some arc fault breakers are also GFCI, but are they 30ma or 5ma and do all the manufactures have these?

Joe.sparky

mdshunk

joesparky said:
I heard, but have not seen that some arc fault breakers are also GFCI, but are they 30ma or 5ma and do all the manufactures have these?
Yeah, they have (about) 30ma GFCI protection also. You can read about it in your white book on pages 5 and 6. You'd still have to GFCI that circuit somehow. If that dwelling wide 120 volt arc fault requirement comes to pass (and many believe that it will not), there will surely be a 6ma version of AFCI's hit the streets.

As it is right now, we sometimes have to AFCI and GFCI protect the same circuit. A wet bar circuit in a master bedroom is one example. If you rope a timer controlled 120V "window candle" circuit throughout the house, you often need to GFCI and AFCI this circuit because it is often in the garage, bath, and bedrooms.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
(B) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits installed in dwelling units shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination type installed to provide protection of the branch circuit. [ROP 2–105, 2–142, 2–111]
The proposed rule only applies to 120 volt outlets, not to 220 volt outlets.
Don

Mike03a3

mdshunk said:
Yeah, they have (about) 30ma GFCI protection also. You can read about it in your white book on pages 5 and 6. You'd still have to GFCI that circuit somehow. If that dwelling wide 120 volt arc fault requirement comes to pass (and many believe that it will not), there will surely be a 6ma version of AFCI's hit the streets.

Already have. CH has 15A and 20A AFCI/GFCI combo breakers in both single and dual pole. The dual pole are common trip only. (see attachment)

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Jim W in Tampa said:
Its a yankee thing.

That means every house in Central and South Fl has one of these circuits.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
iwire said:
LMAO.

Mom will be heading down after Christmas, she won't need the candle outlet.

icon10.gif

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.