3 Phase table saw to 220

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwirehouses

We're moving a table saw that's 3 phase into a 120/240 single phase shop. A new 240V motor cost around $400. Is there any cost effective transformer or other way to make this work?

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
There are single phase to 3 phase converters (the way I understand it, it's not true 3 phase, but it imitates it)

I don't know about the cost of these, I'm sure somebody else here does...

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
We're moving a table saw that's 3 phase into a 120/240 single phase shop. A new 240V motor cost around $400. Is there any cost effective transformer or other way to make this work?
You don't mention motor size; Automation Direct has a single phase in, 3 phase out inverter rated 1 HP for $128. Their low$ drives don't go higher than that. In their better drive, you can get 2HP for $241 and 3HP for $296.

There are other options, but I've converted 2 customers' small machine tools with the 0.5HP versions of the low$ drive and have satisfied customers. They get variable speed between pulley changes.

cadpoint

There are other options, but I've converted 2 customers' small machine tools with the 0.5HP versions of the low$ drive and have satisfied customers. They get variable speed between pulley changes.

All good Stuff, this seems to be the second like thread in as many days.

I really have to wonder about these applications to get a higher RPM machines.

In red are they just keeping the belts on to long, the out-put should be diminishing as the belt wears down... :-?

I can only assume they have RPM testing equipment. The original charts of usage verses the "new" equipment will be toast.

I can only think that some tool bits will be sacrificed. :cool:

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
In red are they just keeping the belts on to long, the out-put should be diminishing as the belt wears down... :-?
Perhaps I stated it poorly. These were 4 speed, stepped pulley lathes built in the 1940 era. I don't remember specifics, but the spindle speeds were something like 300, 500, 800, and 1200. There was some reduction before or after these pulleys, after, I think. Via the inverter, they could get from about 200 to about 1500 running from 40Hz to 80Hz. They were happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.