6" recessed can placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1971

Just want to hear other peoples thoughts on placement of 6" recessed cans with 65 watt, BR30 type floods. How far apart do you place them?

480sparky

About that far.

You aren't providing near enough information.

Ceiling height? Ceiling, wall and floor finish? What are you lighting.... kitchen, hallway, family room, closet? What task are the lights going to assist in? What type of trim?

mcclary's electrical

Just want to hear other peoples thoughts on placement of 6" recessed cans with 65 watt, BR30 type floods. How far apart do you place them?

I agree with 480,,,you have not given enough info. You lay the lights out according to the room. It's something you get a feel for. In any given house, they are gonna be a different distance apart in every room, unless the rooms are indentical, but even then, what's in the ceiling can affect the placement,,,,so every room gets it own design. Lay it out on the floor until it looks right. Then use a laser plum.

Last edited:

chris1971

Most of the ceilings I have installed the 6" cans in are 8' high. Typically in a basement family rooms 15 x 20 and some kitchens. I know a lot has to do with the room size, finishes etc. Just curious if anyone has a general rule of thumb as to placement from walls and how far apart for placement. I understand there are alot of variables, just looking for some general rules people follow?

480sparky

The easiest way to lay them out is to contact the manufacturer and get hold of the photometrics for the lamps you plan on using.

If, at 8' away, a lamp creates a circle of light 6' diameter, then you should place them 4-5 feet apart. If they are narrower than that, then place them closer together. If they are wider, then you can space them further apart.

The idea is to have the circles of light overlap each other.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I like to lay them out on the floor first. When the layout is right a feeling of calmness and satifaction will rest on your mind. This can take days at times. Hang in there. The light knows where it wants to be, you just have to listen.
In rooms with a ceiling fan make sure you place the cans out away from the blades to avoid the strobe effect.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I like to lay them out on the floor first. When the layout is right a feeling of calmness and satifaction will rest on your mind. This can take days at times. Hang in there. The light knows where it wants to be, you just have to listen.
Very philosophical, almost Zen-like. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.