Panel in stairwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjaniga

As far as the code is concerned would it be legal to install an electric service panel in a stairwell?

This came up today during one of our lunch break discussions.

Thanks
Scott

earlydean

Re: Panel in stairwell

When there is no utility area or basement, I liked to hide the panel behind a door. My reasoning was that there will never be any furniture there, and the panel will always be accessible when one shuts the door. Bad side is that if the electrician was in a hot panel and someone opened the door, he might be bumped into the hot bus. I gave this idea up when I installed a service panel behind the bathroom door! Oops.
I would question the accessibility of the panel in the stairway if it were on the stair and not on a landing. It could be argued that some of the stairs are in the way of the 30x36 space required by 110.26.

bigjohn67

In our area. Panels are not allowed in passageways that are designated as an exit from the building. IE: stairwells, hallways designed as on of the exits directly leading outdoors, etc.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by bigjohn67:
In our area. Panels are not allowed in passageways that are designated as an exit from the building. IE: stairwells, hallways designed as on of the exits directly leading outdoors, etc.
John do you know why they have this local rule?

How would a flush mounted panel effect exiting the building.

Most times the only thing you need to worry about would be surface mounted panels that creep into the required width of exit doors and halls.

This is a building code issue not usually a electric code issue.

goodcode

Building codes address the installation of electrical equipment of all types in stairways and other means of egress. Only electrical equipment that serves the stairway ie lighting, flow switches, pressurization/purge fans etc. is permitted in the stairway. For example it is not a violation of the NEC to run feeders through an egress corridor or a stairway. However this is a violation of the building codes. Locally we adopt BOCA. The section addressing this is 1014.11.2
The moral of the story is stay out of egress areas and stairs.

ed downey

I Learned This Rule The Hard Way About 8 Years Ago When We Core Drilled 12 Floor Of Stairway Landings To Install A 2" EMT Conduit For A Communications Conduit (For A Digital Phone Tower Located On The Roof Of The Building). We Called For An Inspection And Where Turned Down For The Reason Mentioned By Goodcode. Now Whenever I Walk A Building Under Construction That Is One Thing I Look For. When You Learn Things The Hard Way They Stick With You.
-Ed

jerryb

A recessed panelboard would void the fire rating of the stairway (if it was rated). But a conduit running vertical or horizontal, properly installed to maintain the fire-rating, should be acceptable, wouldn't it? When I say properly installed I mean to a UL standard and using UL listed materials.

ed downey

Jerryb,
Per 1996 BOCA 1014.11.2 If The Item Does Not Specifically Serve The Stairway It Cannot Be Run In The Stairway. It Does Not Matter If It Is Installed Correctly Or Not.
-Ed

bonding jumper

Its a building code issue. We have this in nyc, you are not allowed any equipment in the stairwells that does not strictly serve the stairwells. So even if you have your electrical clearances and the NEC is upheld, the building code incorporates the fact that it is a bad design. For us they allow conduits in stairwells, but if those conduits branch off to serve floors, its not permitted. The conduits must be strictly serving the stairwell.

[ December 03, 2003, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: bonding jumper ]

scwirenut

I know this is an old post, but i was wondering the opinions on installing a panel flush mount, sf dwelling, on the wall in a staircase landing, this is a landing where you have 2 steps then a 90 degree turn onto landing 40"x40", then another 90 degree turn to go up stairs to a bonus room

allenwayne

If on a landing it is code compliant if on the actual stairs then the 30 in rule can not be maintained.Using the 7/12 min step requirement that would leave a 21 in. drop in that area.110.26 says that the area shall be free of obstructions within the given area,but if the required height is maintained does it pass ?????The NEC doesn`t have an exact requirement for this but it does have a dedicated space article and if the grade is not maintained within that 30 ins. is it not acceptable ??? I would think not.But others might think otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.