Safety Shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JES2727

I'm just loving my new Red Wings. While I was buying them I got to wondering about the importance of the "EH" (Electrical Hazard) rating. What is the general opinion regarding the neccessity of the "EH" as well as the steel toes, aside from the fact that safety shoes are a tax write off? My new boots do not have the "EH" rating, or steel toes (but I'm going to write them off anyway). But they sure are comfortable, and they look nice, and they're waterproof. I guess it depends on one's work environment. In my case, doing electrical installs, service calls, and small construction projects I don't really see the need. Steel toed boots would be nice, but they're heavier, and not quite as comfortable.
Anyone have any opinions?

John

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
Once you wear Red Wings you'll never go to any other boot. I've got two pair of work boots. When one wears out I send them back to be resoled and wear the other pair. I haven't had to buy a new pair for at least sevn years.

Made in USA too.

renosteinke

Safety shoes

Safety shoes

I submit that there is more to "safety" in footwear than any single thing, such as steel toes.

The first is that they be suitable for the work you are doing. I had a pair of "cowboy boot" style work shoes that had steel toes, and was the cat's meow for work on ladders or concrete. They weren't very good for climbing, though, and were just about useless in mud.

Many say "steel toes are safer." Sure- but only if you drop things on them. While the 'electrical risk' has been researched, and is pretty much a non-issue, steel in a shoe can make you much more suceptable to frostbite. Steel just doesn't insulate very well. The hard toes also wear out a lot faster if you're crawling about a lot.

JohnJ0906

I personally swear by Red Wings-I wear a B-width boot, and try to find that anywhere else! Well worth the cost for me. something I wear 10 hrs a day, 5-6 days a week needs to be comfortable. I also prefer the steeltoe- the extra wieght I am used to, and it has saved my toes from serious injury twice. However, it does depend on the environment you work in.

bphgravity

I also love my Red Wings. Mine have both the EH rating and steel toe as required by my employers insurance policy. Make sure to find out the limits of your company's insurance is before purchasing boots.

Also be sure to buy the shoe oil provided by Red Wing. It keeps the boot looking nice and maintains the waterproofing.

muskiedog

Boots based on hazards.

Boots based on hazards.

Your boots should be based on the job hazards you are exposed to. We perform Job Hazard Analysis on every job task and then try to engineer out the hazards, but PPe is then based on our findings. It doesn't take much dropped on the foot to cause injury. I wear Red Wings too. Steal toes. Love them.

We offer our works a couple of vendors to choice from. They pull up in trucks at our Highway site for the day and employees can choose one that they would like as long as it meets the safety requirements need to perform their job tasks.

chelin

Arc flash and steel toe boots

Arc flash and steel toe boots

Does anyone knows if steel toe boots offer enough protection to arc flash hazards? or is the steel an issue?

NFPA 70E requires heavy-duty leather work shoes, should I understand that heavy-duty includes leather steel toe boots...?

zog

EH means they were tested at 14,000V under dry conditions for 1 minute with leakage current not exceeding 3mA. Fantastic shock protection. This is from a new ASTM standard tha came out last December.

discostu

Banned
JES2727 said:
I'm just loving my new Red Wings. While I was buying them I got to wondering about the importance of the "EH" (Electrical Hazard) rating. What is the general opinion regarding the neccessity of the "EH" as well as the steel toes, aside from the fact that safety shoes are a tax write off? My new boots do not have the "EH" rating, or steel toes (but I'm going to write them off anyway). But they sure are comfortable, and they look nice, and they're waterproof. I guess it depends on one's work environment. In my case, doing electrical installs, service calls, and small construction projects I don't really see the need. Steel toed boots would be nice, but they're heavier, and not quite as comfortable.
Anyone have any opinions?

John

I did'nt know that Red Wings had an "EH" rating.

rcarroll

Do Red Wings actually have steel toes? I thought a few years ago they changed to a hard plastic. BTW, I have 4 pairs. Different style for different job. Been wearing them for 25 yrs. or so.

jeff43222

rcarroll said:
Do Red Wings actually have steel toes? I thought a few years ago they changed to a hard plastic. BTW, I have 4 pairs. Different style for different job. Been wearing them for 25 yrs. or so.

They have both. The plastic one is called "Tech Toe" and is nonmetallic. They only have a few styles with it. Mostly they still sell the Steel Toe variety.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
realolman said:
try a pair of wolverine dura shoks if you work on concrete.
...and/or a lot of walking on hard surfaces.

I just wore my first pair of Wolverine Compressor boots today. My Red Wings will now be shelved indefintely. Compared to all other steel-toe work boots I've worn, these are like having pillows under my feet (slight exaggeration).

JES2727

Smart $ said:
...and/or a lot of walking on hard surfaces.

I just wore my first pair of Wolverine Compressor boots today. My Red Wings will now be shelved indefintely. Compared to all other steel-toe work boots I've worn, these are like having pillows under my feet (slight exaggeration).

I bought a pair of Wolverine Multi-Shox in the early spring. It's a comfortable shoe. The soles are soft and spongy. So soft, in fact, that they have completely worn through. It's not from overuse, the rest of the boot is in great shape. I've gone back to Red Wings. I'll not waste my money on Wolverines any more.

John

RayS

gotta post my 2 cents for Justins- I had the hi top lace ups, and were the most comfortable boot I ever had. Not water resistant tho. And not cheap, but they were worth it.

JohnJ0906

No matter what you like, having comforable boots (or shoes) versus uncomfortable makes a HUGE difference. I will not scrimp on my work boots. (a tip- change socks mid-way through the day, especially in winter- that too makes a difference);)

sandsnow

I won't wear a boot without puncture resistant soles. After a bad month of three instances of stepping on pointy button head screws, I had enough.

Redwing sells the fireman style boot with zipper. Has steel toe and puncture resistant sole.

Ther is or at least was a company who made puncture proof insoles. This guy in the booth would hammer a 16 penny through a 2x4 turn it point up and then jump on it. Seemed to work well. I didn't see any blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.