Replaceing lightbulbs continously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1cbr

I am hoping you guys can help me and give me some advice.
Customer says that the outside light continues to blow bulbs. I checked out to make sure there are no loose connections. The house was built in 1978 and has copper wire. They customer tells me that this fixture has been burning up bulbs as long as they can remember. They have replaced the fixture and still have the same problem. i took the fixture down to make sure there is good tight connection but I cant find any problems.

mdshunk

Try installing a rough service lamp or a CF lamp. 1978 construction was notably flimsy, and I'll bet that wall shakes when the front door is shut. This is a common customer report for me, and it often boils down to a bad lampholer or a vibration issue.

Did you, by chance, see if the circuit that serves this fixture is part of the consist of a multi-wire circuit (thinking possible loose neutral for that ckt)? Just a thought for you.

R2006

Blowing Bulbs? How Often? Every Day, Once A Week, Or What.
I Agree With Marc Vibration Usually The Cause How About Rain Water?
Good Luck.

emahler

where are they getting the lamps from? HD and Lowes lamps don't seem to last nearly as long as those from the supply house or even the supermarket.

benaround

A1cbr,

I'm going to guess that the fixture (wall type) is on the same side of a door

that the doorknob is on, every time someone slams the door the bulb gets a

good shaking and the filiment finally breaks.

The only thing that works is a 230v lamp at double the wattage.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Make sure bulb wattage does not exceed fixture's rating.

Check for bug-clogged air holes.

Try a 130-volt bulb.

ceknight

A1cbr said:
...Customer says that the outside light continues to blow bulbs....

For whatever it's worth: every mysterious bulb-eating fixture that has come to my attention in the last few years has been tamed by installing a compact fluorescent bulb.

Good luck,

hungrycat

i have had the same problem years ago and found local voltage in excess of 120 v.124v average.when i went to 130v.rated bulbs,the problem went away.

A1cbr

Benaround you are right the light fixture is on the same wall. I will try some different light bulbs and see if that will do the trick. Thanks for the advice.

boater bill

How long is the fixture on? A typical incandascent lamp is rated for 1500-2000 hours. Fluorescents from 7500 to 20000 depnding on type. This may make a difference.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
boater bill said:
Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.