Are pocket testers OSHA approved

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdaug53

Are the Fluke and Greenlee pocket testers OSHA approved? Our manger said to meet OSHA standards all testers must be able to detect exact voltage

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Here is what I believe
Tic type tracers test for the presence of voltage. A voltmeter, with leads, tests for the absence of voltage. Ideally you would use both. Tic tracers have a fatal flaw and its important you recognize it.
I could see how one could get injured relying on a tic tracer

480sparky

Here is what I believe
Tic type tracers test for the presence of voltage. A voltmeter, with leads, tests for the absence of voltage. Ideally you would use both. Tic tracers have a fatal flaw and its important you recognize it.

Very important, yet often missed, word there. :grin:

buldogg

Are the Fluke and Greenlee pocket testers OSHA approved? Our manger said to meet OSHA standards all testers must be able to detect exact voltage

My Fluke tester is rated 90-600vac, not acceptable when verifying no voltage. It's great for quick troubleshooting but not to verify for safe voltage levels.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Every time I put one into my pocket it beeps so ya they work great; tells me I have a pocket.
I would not trust it with my life I have a #61-040 Ideal hanging around my neck alot.

realolman

Here is what I believe

Would you please explain and expand upon that, because I for one don't know what you mean, and if it's that important, I think I should know.

Jim W in Tampa

Would you please explain and expand upon that, because I for one don't know what you mean, and if it's that important, I think I should know.
Tickers dont always tick when there is voltage. They are built cheap. If it ticks you likely have voltage but not ticking does not mean is no voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.