Help with Sponsorship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duse

Dear Forum,

I have currently 6 yrs experience in the electrician field, recently my boss had to let me go and ended my sponsorship with him, I would like to know the best route to go for a sponsor to sponsor me. I am with a company now that does not do sponsorship.. I currently am 1 class away from taking my journeyman's test (NEC) and feel I am ready.. If anyone can help please add to forum...

Thanx

Duse...

Sponsorship?

Sponsorship?

If you have 6 years experience PLUS class work you are already qualified to take the test in many states. If you are still doing electrical work under licensed supervision it can also be counted towards experience (unless the company you work for is not licensed in a license required state).
You might want to apply now to take the test using your old employer(even in another state if it has a reciprocal agreement with yours)

There are useful links to state requirements, exam application forms, study guides etc. here:
http://mikeholt.com/statelicense.php

bphgravity

I am thinking this guy is a UNION worker, which follows their own set of policies and procedures for apprenticeship and licensing...

jeff43222

Isn't licensing the same regardless of whether you're in a union? It sure is in my state.

Once you meet the requirements to take the exam (experience, training, etc.) you can take it. The state has one application for electrical exams, and there is nothing on it regarding union affiliation.

bphgravity

I realize that, but it appears he is apart of a program he wishes to continue with. Until we hear back from the OP, we are only guessing as to what he is talking about...

Duse

Duse said:
Dear Forum,

I have currently 6 yrs experience in the electrician field, recently my boss had to let me go and ended my sponsorship with him, I would like to know the best route to go for a sponsor to sponsor me. I am with a company now that does not do sponsorship.. I currently am 1 class away from taking my journeyman's test (NEC) and feel I am ready.. If anyone can help please add to forum...

Thanx

Duse...

I didn't break it down enouph I understand, I am Currently in an Apprenticeship program that my boss WAS sponsoring me thru, also in college for the hands on electrical, I was able to skip alot of the classes due to prior military training in A/C, D/C, SOlid States, Logics. Motors, Etc... And was able to only take the civilian or hands on side of the program meaning Residential, commercial, Industrial, and the NEC (cedited for all the rest)... After that I was told I would be able to take my journeyman's test... I was also credited 1500 hours for military experience with electrical equipment or what not, I served 4yrs so I thought that was pretty weak.. Now I'm guestimating my hours at about 4000hrs, which is thru my apprentriceship... I guess my question is, what would I need to do to be able to take my journeymans test in the state of Virginia??

Duse

bphgravity said:
I am thinking this guy is a UNION worker, which follows their own set of policies and procedures for apprenticeship and licensing...

Not Union, I was with a Contractor (small Company) and I needed a job quick so I jumped into a (kinda a Manpower deal) and am not working directly with the contractor himself but just a hired hand for the job.. Put myslef into a bad situation..

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Duse said:
Now I'm guestimating my hours at about 4000hrs, which is thru my apprentriceship... what would I need to do to be able to take my journeymans test in the state of Virginia??
Duno about Virginia, but on the left coast you need 8000 hours before you can test. If 4000 does it for you, your school/training director should let you to pay out of pocket to complete the curriculum. This is a no brainer, the school needs the revenue and the sponsorship date discrepency is not (usually) enforceable.

kbsparky

Virginia has specifid requirements for Journeyman licensure. To view their regulations, click here. Scroll down to the requirements starting at page 8.

I believe they want a minumum of 4 years practical experience + 240 hours of vocational training. They allow for substitution of some of the vocational training (up to 200 hours), at the rate of 80 hours for each additional years' worth of experience.

IF you have no vocational training, you can still qualify with 10 years' experience.

kison

DaveTap said:
If you have 6 years experience PLUS class work you are already qualified to take the test in many states. If you are still doing electrical work under licensed supervision it can also be counted towards experience (unless the company you work for is not licensed in a license required state).
You might want to apply now to take the test using your old employer(even in another state if it has a reciprocal agreement with yours)

]
Dave is correct. with your military time and class work you are qualified to test in VA. ( all of your military time should counts towards experience, because when i left the military in 1991 with 10 years service and no other documentation i was allowed to take the master electricians exam to obtain my license.

mrvoltamp

You need to contact the DPOR www.dpor.virginia.gov
If you are in the Electrical Apprentice program and you successfully complete it you don't have to sit for the Journeyman's exam. They give you your card when you complete it. Since you only have 1 class left I would either ask the DPOR if you can take it on your own thru your local Comm. college, Or try asking your Employer if he would participate in the program. It would benifit him as well. You have more than enough OJT, I would hate to have to sit thru the exam if you don' have to.

Duse

I appreciate all the info, Turns out I'm still gonnna have to take the test since my sponsor isn't exempt form test taking or something like that, but I"m on my way to Journeyman!! Just have the NEC Class left!! YEAH!!!

Again Thanx alot for the help..

Duse

Status
Not open for further replies.