wall tv heights

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Is there a standard height off the floor for wall mount tv's? This sounds like a dumb ? but I'm serious. Thanks.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is there a standard height off the floor for wall mount tv's? This sounds like a dumb ? but I'm serious. Thanks.
There isn't, not at all, I believe you, and you're welcome. :)

Start with whether the TV will be viewed when standing or sitting. Many consider the ideal eye height to be at about 1/3 up the screen.

In other words, if the screen is 30" tall, the eyes should be about 10" above the bottom, and 20" below the top. That's about what we have.

Most wall-mounted TV's I've seen seem to end up higher than is comfortable for the viewers to watch, and their neck muscles get tired.

ItsHot

I don't believe there is a standard mounting height, because there is not a standard room size that a tv is installed in. Neck fatigue is the big thing to consider in the viewing level that you choose. As electricians, we know how hard it can be to always look up!

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Above the fireplace mantel seem to be the favorite height, though I think it's a little high if the room is not very big. Customers tend to want it high above the mantel so they can put nick nacs on the mantel below it, but it is usually a big mistake because of the neck strain looking up.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Larry is right about the viewing height needing to be lower than most think. The last one we hung was a 55" LED (wish I could have sold it to the guy) I believe the top of the TV was 68-ish off the floor. Bottom was in the 36" - 48" range.

If you can, have someone, even if it is at home, sit down and loook at a comfortable spot on a wall and measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.