Rigging for Switchgear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
What are the different methods for getting switchgear into a building(new construction) if it is on the 1st or second floor. I believe sometime it has to be rigged. When is that necessary. If someone could please give me some guidelines that would be great, thanks.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Big fork lift , see roofer, roll it on pipe,come along, man power; only way i know.
I did use a chugger, boards , and some pulling wheels to get an inverter to the 5th floor one time.

For the heights you mentioned, we have used a piece of equipment referred to as a "lawl"(?spelling?). Additionally, for large equipment such generators, UPS systems, and large switchboards, we use a rigging vendor who can handle this equipment. He provides the lifting equipment and manpower necessary. We normally build this into the proposal.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
For the heights you mentioned, we have used a piece of equipment referred to as a "lawl"(?spelling?). Additionally, for large equipment such generators, UPS systems, and large switchboards, we use a rigging vendor who can handle this equipment. He provides the lifting equipment and manpower necessary. We normally build this into the proposal.

Yes exactly, a lull( I think). But how do you know when the switchgear falls into the category of needing rigging? At what size? Thanks

USMC1302

Depending on site conditions/access, an extended boom forklift is a nice piece of gear. A simple pallet jack may work(for first floor) if you have concrete or some lumber/plywood to roll on. For second floor, EBFL if possible

USMC1302

Yes, Lull is one manufacturer of an EBFL. Your question as to when is rigging required in my opinion depends on the weight. My EBFL was good for 10k lbs, though I know it has picked larger loads. Sometimes job specs may outline rules for lifts, otherwise your call. How heavy is your load?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Yes, Lull is one manufacturer of an EBFL. Your question as to when is rigging required in my opinion depends on the weight. My EBFL was good for 10k lbs, though I know it has picked larger loads. Sometimes job specs may outline rules for lifts, otherwise your call. How heavy is your load?

No I was just concerned with future jobs that I estimate so I could kinda have an idea first before asking and/or finding out more. If it is going into a basement/cellar....still use a forklift? Thanks very much.

benaround

No I was just concerned with future jobs that I estimate so I could kinda have an idea first before asking and/or finding out more. If it is going into a basement/cellar....still use a forklift? Thanks very much.

If the job it large enough, throw $500 in for rental equipment and 'if' you need to get a

lull you are covered, if not, that money will go somewhere.

I try to set up a compromise with the GC to have a coordination of setting equipment. If they plan on hoisting in some floor beams, try to have your switchgear delivered the same day, and borrow the hoist truck for an hour :). *Well not actually borrow, but use his services on the GC dime* But if you can not get the gear where it needs to be ALWAYS ALWAYS figure cost to get it where it needs to go.

charlietuna

Every job is different--weight of gear -outside demensions- level of switchgear room -- clearances/openings side to side and ceilings -- We have had jobs requiring us to hire factory personnel to break the new gear down and re-assemble it in place(4000Amp/480volt). I always want enough rigging and people to handle the job without being in a hurry--that can get expensive. Also inspect the gear BEFORE you remove it from the delivery truck !

Status
Not open for further replies.