SFD Kitchen counter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I have a situation where I have a counter 63" wall to wall. Placement of the first receptacle is 24" from the right wall.

Question: Is another receptacle needed to cover the rest of the counter, 39"?

I say yes, what say you? :cool:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Isn't the norm to measure from the edge of the sink (24") and then every 48" (linear) ? Have I been doing this wrong for years now ??? Actually, I usually locate the first receptacle as close as possible (with respect to the faucet) to the sink and then every 48". Am I over-killing my jobs ?

Occupation
Inspector
This is an unbroken counter. I've had a debate with another electrician who says if we use the 2ft/4ft rule then the second is not needed, 39".

I see the 2ft/4ft rule as that there is no more than 2ft from a receptacle. So the 39" is too large an area to cover by just the one receptacle.

mdshunk

For a 63" span, you'd definately need two recs. Visually, I'd space them about 16" off the wall, then the next one about 48" off that same wall. That would keep each rec about 16" from each end of the counter space, and about 32" between. This satisfies code and is visually pleasing.

Some people automatically start their first rec 2 feet off the wall, without looking at the whole picture from a visual standpoint. I've seen some visually very ugly countertop rec layouts that meet code that would have been more appealing with a little more forethought.

Last edited:

electricmanscott

No doubt an addtional one is required. "Receptacle outlets shall be installed so that no point along the wall line is more than 24 in measured horizontally from a receptacle in that space."

Once you move 24" past that first receptacle you are in violationville

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
electricmanscott said:
Once you move 24" past that first receptacle you are in violationville
True, unless there is another receptacle within 24 inches further down the counter line. That is why the 48 inch distribution works. A point just left of the center of the 48 inch counter space will have a receptacle within 24 inches to the left. A point just right of the center of the 48 inch counter space will have a receptacle within 24 inches to the right.

Countertops require that the measurements start from each end, before completing the middle section. If the counter is short enough, than so be it, otherwise the best method is to start from each end first. From the original post, this method works.

mayjong

ahhhh yes.... the code doesn't say 4' apart it says" 2' no point along the wall"
how come some contractors just can't seem to get their head around this?
btw- a counter 71 1/2" would also require 2 recepticles (but you have to place them JUST RIGHT!! :))

Last edited:

stickboy1375

I've seen houses that the receptacles were roughed in every 6' because they didn't read the code correctly... not talking about the kitchen counter either... the entire house...

electricmanscott

charlie b said:

True, unless there is another receptacle within 24 inches further down the counter line. That is why the 48 inch distribution works. A point just left of the center of the 48 inch counter space will have a receptacle within 24 inches to the left. A point just right of the center of the 48 inch counter space will have a receptacle within 24 inches to the right.

I understand Charlie, I was referring to the 63" counter with one receptacle.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Pierre C Belarge said:
Countertops require that the measurements start from each end, before completing the middle section.
I wouldn?t put it that way. In fact, the only measurement that takes into account ?both ends? is the one that determines whether or not the counter space is at least 12 inches wide.

You can start at one end, put the first receptacle no more than 24 inches from that end, make your way through the middle space by placing receptacles no more than 48 inches apart, and not worry about the other end until you get there. But I like the aesthetic value of Marc?s method: lay out the receptacles with a left-to-right visual balance in mind.

Occupation
Inspector
I win...

I win...

Thanks everyone. I have shown this thread to the other electrician I've been having the debate with, and he has conceded that I was right.

Again, thanks for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.