Does the NEC allow "ugly" work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunalilo

The image below is the closest thing i could find to what I saw today...
A sub-panel, no guts, not breakers, and a new run of 1 1/2 inch pipe completely full to the brim with 12AWG THHN going to a another panel.

I'm talking spider web mania!!! When you take off the panel cover, the wires in the panels are woven together just bunched then pushed into the panel with their associating wire nuts right-side-up, up-side-down, and everywhere else, having a less than attractive bouncing "spring" effect when touched.

Besides the obvious fill violation I have two questions:

1)Is there anywhere in the NEC that has codes against "ugly" work.

2)If not, could an inspector have anything to say about the panel itself being like that, being a huge junction box, and not orderly?

pic117168_md.jpg

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
#1 Ugly or beauty is in the eye of the beholder
#2 An inspector may not like it but in reality most J boxes are tangled and mangled wires, some just have more than others.

There is 110.12 but the TCC has pretty much stated that it is unenforcible.

Roger

WinZip

I believe there is wording in the code { workman like manner } at least I think it was in 1974 code.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
From the NEC Style Manual
3.2 Word Choices.
3.2.1 Unenforceable Terms. The NEC shall not contain references or requirements that are unenforceable or vague. The terms contained in Table 3.2.1 shall be reviewed in context, and, if the resulting requirement is unenforceable or vague, the term shall not be used.
Table 3.2.1 Possibly Unenforceable and Vague Terms
Acceptable
Adequate
Adjacent
Appreciable
Appropriate
Approximate(ly)
Available
Avoid(ed)
Can
Care
Careful(ly)
Consider(ed)(ation)
Could
Desirable
Easy(ily)
Equivalent(ly)
Familiar
Feasible
Few
Frequent(ly)
Firmly
Generally
Good
Lightly
Likely
Legible(y)
Many
May
Maybe
Might
Most(ly)
Near(ly)
Neat(ly)
Normal(ly)
Note
Periodic(ally)
Practical(ly)
Practices
Prefer(red)
Proper(ly)
Ready(ily)
Reasonable(y)
Safe(ly)(ty)
Satisfactory
Secure(ly)
Several
Significant
Similar
Substantial(ly)
Sufficient(ly)
Suitable
Usual(ly)
Workmanlike

bphgravity

I know of at least two jurisdictions in the state of Florida that have adopted the ANSI/NECA 1-2006 (as referenced in the FPN of Section 110.12) by ordinance. A few others have published their own guidelines. Be advised.

growler

1)Is there anywhere in the NEC that has codes against "ugly" work.

2)If not, could an inspector have anything to say about the panel itself being like that, being a huge junction box, and not orderly?

You couldn't have an NEC code against "ugly work" any more than you could have a law against being a bad person.

Rules and laws must be clearly defined. There are laws that will prevent someone from being a bad person but these laws are against specific offenses.

There are certain rules that can prevent certain ugly work but the rules cover specific installation methods. As you mentioned, conduit fill would be the place to start with cleaning up this mess.

An 1 1/2" conduit filled with #12 THHN conductors is going to be detrated so much as to make them useless. We are talking about a conduit run and not a short nipple, right?

iwire

Staff member
I know of at least two jurisdictions in the state of Florida that have adopted the ANSI/NECA 1-2006 (as referenced in the FPN of Section 110.12) by ordinance. A few others have published their own guidelines. Be advised.

Not having seen that standard I am very interested how a subjective value can be enforced.

Up here we have a law about 'driving to fast for the conditions' I do not know anyone ticked for it as it is entirely subjective.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If it didn't allow ugly work, who would we all have to pick on?:grin:

But I've never had to worry about it, I've never met an electrician who wasn't the best around.:roll:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
To me, rules against doing ugly work are like seat belt and helmet laws:

I don't want to do ugly work; why on earth would I need a rule against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.