Plastic Coated Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

starbright28

I am not sure if there is another thread out there like this or not.

I have a question to why Plastic Coated Conduit is NOT listed in the NEC. I am talking about Metal Conduit being pastic coated. It's not PVC.

I am working on checking specifications and making sure that they correspond correctly to what the codebook is actually calling out.

Can anyone give me any information on this type of product, and if it is indeed in the codebook - then where?

DesertRat

Poly coated rigid (or Rob Roy as it's often called out here) would fall under Art. 344, just like any other rigid.

Beyond the NEC, there are a lot of specifics to installing the stuff. It can be tricky at times, especially if you aren't equipped with the right tools. Standard wrenches, threader clamps etc. will damage the poly coat. ECM magazine had a pretty good article on installation practices a while back.

http://www.ecmweb.com/mag/electric_pvc_coated_conduit/index.html

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
A good alternative to PVC coated, which is very costly$$$$$, is fiberglass conduit, and cable tray. There are some UV issues that you need to watch out for but around chemcials and such it is a very good usage.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Ocal is the other major brand in the industry for PVC coated rigid. Click here for their product. Both are excellent product. One needs to make sure they have the hogged out dies, and bender shoes, plus a fistful of strap wrenches, to go with gear. Order lots of "extra" paint for the dings and abuse it will suffer before installation. Did I say this stuff was $$$pendy too?

That would be PVC coated rigid conduit for explossion/corrosion proof installations. I had the pleasure of working with it at a water treatment plant, it's NOT fun. Takes a bit of practice to bend it on a tripple nickle without dammaging the coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.