Ohio Standard building code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently Ohio passed a law stating that all cities need to follow the NEC no more having city wide code quarks. At least that is the way I think it was written. My question is that the way other are reading it also and are other states doing the same

ryan_618

Utah has a similiar law. No city can amend the code, unless the city amendment is adopted through the state. The state is quite reluctant to grant city amendments.

No city has any amendments to the NEC, and the state has no amendments to the NEC. I'll be honest with you, I think it is GREAT.

Last edited:

cadpoint

GS - general statues

GS - general statues

You need to find your State Web site for your assembly.
Yes, North Carolina, the government has a long standing state wide law concerning electrical work, 600 V?s or less, the NFPA-70, AKA NEC.
Our state defers the Dept of Insurance to over see our State Board of Electrical Construction. www.ncbeec.org
I can?t recall if the governing board or the Government proclaims when the NEC Dated book will be required, but the statement is made and a date assigned as to when the new applications on work is required.
The cities and or counties are allowed to inspect all electrical work to the minimum of the NEC.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Georgia has adopted NEC as the state minimum standards code, but certain cities in my area still try to amend it to what they prefer. although they have no legal right to do so, if you fight it too hard, they'll make it so tough you'll never want to do business there again. you can turn 99.9% of all electrical installs down for some minute detail that was missed, and fighting can lead to this. i know. :D

bmac71

ohiosparky,

I read it the same way you do. No more city codes, and if I read it correct Ohio changes code cycle immediately when the new edition comes out so they will be on the most current edition.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
and if I read it correct Ohio changes code cycle immediately when the new edition comes out so they will be on the most current edition.
They can't. The courts have ruled a number of times that you must adopt each edition specifically.
Don

bmac71

Don,

Thanks for that information. I guess as I did not read it correct. I am going to try to locate that information and read it again to see if I overlooked something.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
bmac71 said:
Don,

Thanks for that information. I guess as I did not read it correct. I am going to try to locate that information and read it again to see if I overlooked something.
If you locate that info, and it is on a web site, would you please provide a link to it so I can read it?

In the meantime, here's an interesting section of the Ohio Revised Code...

...and follow this link to the 2007 Ohio Building Code, Chapter 27, Section 2701 for the exact text.

Last edited:

bmac71

I could not locate the information. I remember I was scanning thru some information looking for something else, when I ran across that. As I stated in my previous post, I must have misread the information. By the way Smart, thanks for the links, I have checked those out.

Sorry for passing across information without confirmation.

Smart $ said:
The only changes in the Ohio Revised Code regarding electrical code is concerning the liability of the enforcing governmental body.
I have heard from a number of sources that cities no longer can enforce their own amendments. I haven't been able to verify this on my own, were did you get the above info from?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
ohiosparky said:
I have heard from a number of sources that cities no longer can enforce their own amendments. I haven't been able to verify this on my own, were did you get the above info from?
Let's just say it is the conclusion I have drawn from my own personal research. However, said research was not thoroughly exhaustive and may well be in error.

Nevertheless, until "731.231 Adopting standard or technical ordinances and codes" of the Ohio Revised Code is changed, you are being misinformed. If such a change has been adopted, it does not appear to have taken effect yet. [edit: ....or the on-line version of the ORC is not as current as it should be.]

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
bmac71 said:
There has been a change, Ohio now has the Residential Code of Ohio effective May 27th, 2006. Here is a link:

https://www.com.state.oh.us/dic/Documents/THENEWRESIDENTIALCODE-GenInfoFAQ.pdf

This is a general inormation pdf.
Just on glancing through that pdf, I see nothing that indicates the electrical code which municipalities must adopt, nor do I see any mention that municipalities cannot amend such code. In a search on the term "electric", the issue surrounding the resultant passages was certification to perform inspections.

You should read the section of the Ohio Revised Code that I linked above. It clearly states municipalities can adopt pretty much any code they want and further amend such code. The Ohio Revised Code supersedes all others in matters of the great State of Ohio.

Status
Not open for further replies.