Pop Up Counter Outlet Assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Let's look at a drop in gas range. It has a rubber cord that plugs in the wall that is below the cabinet. Homeowners store pots / pans/ chemicals / garbage cans, etc under these cabinets--- mostly I see drawers under the cooktops. What's the problem? Are you going to turn that down?

These units are UL approved but the actual installation is what may be at issue. I don't believe these pop up units can be used to comply with the NEC requirement for receptacles on counter space but I would have no issue with the cord behind a drawer or in a cabinet in addition to the required receptacle.

These unit are UL listed and the cord part is part of that listing. I believe the installation on a counter would comply with art.400.8 and I really think that (7) Where subject to physical damage is being overstated by some. Do you really think that there would be physical damage to a cord in this situation? I don't see it. Of course, we can debate this forever. Some inspectors would say okay while others will say no. I say --Yea

John Arendt

Dennis:
Perhaps a little clarity is needed.
As the required countertop receptacle.....NO
AWG of the cord could be a concern.....can't say either way without info right now.

As an 'extra' recept, I probably would be OK, providing the cord was installed in a safe, compliant manner.

As to the drop-in cooktop, that's usually out of harms way at time of inspection, as are compactors, micro's, GD's, wine coolers, warmer drawers and the rest of the kitchen toys. With the exception of the GD, all are usually directly behind the respective item. The cord/cap connected GD shares under sink cab space with a lot of 'stuff'. My original comment reflects to 'cord' behind the drawers, and getting 'beat' & blowing the SA circuit. It happened two or three times.

I'm not a 'hard nose' (IMHO).

John:smile:

LawnGuyLandSparky

It seems the issue here is some homeowners do not want to "clutter up" an island countertop. This is no different than a homeowner who doesn't want to clutter up the hall and bedroom ceilings with ugly smoke detectors.

gary

Occupation
Retired electrical contractor / general contractor
safari49 said:
Try mockett.com look at their kitchen grommett it has passed a UL for install in kitchen counters.

they have lots of them..

Thanks for bringing mockett.com to our attention, but I don't see a "kitchen grommet UL approved for kitchen counters." Do you have a specific catalog number in mind? Their PCS22 (http://tinyurl.com/2nr4qa) looks similar to the Hon product described above. Eliminate the data ports and provide a flex whip w/ #12 conductors instead of a cord and plug and you would have a product ideally suited for this application!

safari49

mockett.com.....
power and data gromets....
Kitchen Power Grommet - PCS34

I would post a link but have not conquered that yet.

they are UL

gary

Occupation
Retired electrical contractor / general contractor
safari49 said:
mockett.com.....
power and data gromets....
Kitchen Power Grommet - PCS34

I would post a link but have not conquered that yet.

they are UL

Thank-you, that looks like a great product! I'm not sure why I was having trouble finding it on their site. For those that are interested, this is the link: http://tinyurl.com/3axu7a

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
safari49 said:
Gary thanks for the link Some day I may be smart enought to do that...
Just copy the web address and paste it into the post. It should automatically become a link.

You can check it before you post by using the preview post button rather than the submit button.

Give it a try.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
rasmithircgov said:
I beleive that Article 400.8 (1) applies here and its not allowed to be used as fixed wiring.
The question becomes can an individual get turned down for having a plug strip in their home. I think not but I also believe the required SBAC is still required in the appropriate location.

Dennis Alwon said:
The question becomes can an individual get turned down for having a plug strip in their home. I think not but I also believe the required SBAC is still required in the appropriate location.
Ya its funny theirs all kind of surge strips plugged into homes at desks for computors and printers etc. Fixed no, but ever unplugged pretty much never. I beleive also that a fixed wiring method is required for the recp needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.