Angled connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcspector

Article 348.42 Angle connectors shall not be used for concealed raceway installations. Angled connector. I assume that would include a 90 degree connector ? Also, I see that Article 330 does not prohibit concealing MC 90's. Is that because MC is a premanufactured cable assembly ? In summary one cannot conceal flex 90's, but you can MC 90's ?

Last edited:

allenwayne

Good catch it doesn`t say you can`t so I guess you can,Doesn`t make a bit of scence but that`s how it is written or in this case not written.

wanderer20001us

You pull conductors through FMC. Concelled, it would be possible to try to pull through and damage conductors. You do not pull the conductor through the MC, therefore the angled connector would not come into play.

dcspector

Sam This is what I assumed. However, on this particular situation the EC also ran 3" MC into a 4" MC 90 along with a couple of runs of 12/2 MC in that 4" 90 all to Gen -Set on roof and this will be a drywall ceiling below concealing this installation.

wanderer20001us

You lost me... They ran 3" MC into a 4" MC 90 allong with 2-12/2 MC cables, all together in the 4" MC 90? Something sound very wrong with that. I doubt the 4" MC 90 is listed for that purpose.

Occupation
Inspector
dcspector said:
Sam This is what I assumed. However, on this particular situation the EC also ran 3" MC into a 4" MC 90 along with a couple of runs of 12/2 MC in that 4" 90 all to Gen -Set on roof and this will be a drywall ceiling below concealing this installation.

Are you sure you don't mean FMC, Greenfield?

dcspector

Sam, Norb. What I have here is a 4" 90 above ceiling with a 3" I think MC in that 90 and on the outside of the 3" MC I have 2....12/2 mc's in the 90 to roof for lighting and receptacle....I do not have a camera at this time. Also, I cannot tell if this is MC or FMC looking at the metallic cable. I need to get in the gen to see.:confused:

dcspector

Sam...I will and it is a strange one at that. I am having a problem telling the difference between the cable clad 4" MC to FMC for concealment of connectors....there are several to be concealed above drywall.

Occupation
Inspector
dcspector said:
Sam...I will and it is a strange one at that. I am having a problem telling the difference between the cable clad 4" MC to FMC for concealment of connectors....there are several to be concealed above drywall.

I would like to know the fine points of distinction between MC & FMC.

llverbeek

I've seen this particular installation, and believe it to be a code violation, also.. (plus it's an ugly installation)... for once, the NEC doesn't refer one back to 50 other articles when addressing angled connectors.. I'm thinking it's probably not MC, since there was a big empty chunk of it on the floor, (but hey, I've been wrong before).. if they hang the lid, is it still a code violation? (since right now, it's all hidden)..
Lea
CBO, MCP

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
FMC being a raceway is designed so that it is installed from point to point and the conductors are pulled in afterword's. This would be nearly impossible if the raceway had concealed 90 degree connectors.

llverbeek

I'm not claiming I have any hands on "how to do it"... but I can read the code and I'm not blind.. the evidence suggests it's not MC.. (oh, hey dcspector didn't mention the fact that some of these connectors are in refrigeration chases, did he)?

Isn't his almost like a concealed j box

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.