Residential estimating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vertex

I am curious to know what labor units (hours) you use to do an estimate for custom homes. Assume using NM cable and nail-on plastic boxes. Also assume 8' high ceiling and open framing for ranch house style home. Include rough-in and trim out.

I think it may be interesting to see if there is much difference in our perception of the work. Please note that I am not looking for pricing, only labor units for the following:

receptacle wired with #14
receptacle wired with #12
1-pole switch wired with #14
3-way switch wired with #14
lighting outlet wired with #14
recessed luminaire
ceiling fan installation (not including prewire)
smoke detector
home runs (including breaker connection)

I assume 15' NM cable per receptacle or switch. How about you?

erickench

I think you have to give us a little more information than what you've provided. There are factors like the size of the boxes that are taken into account. Have you ever tried using "National estimator"?

I assembled a spread sheet years ago and honestly don't remember how I came up w/ these numbers but when averaged out they seem to reflect reality for new construction.

15A recept- .55
20A recept- .65
S1- .47
S3- .75
interior surface fixture- .65
recessed can- .9
paddle fan- 1.2
smoke- .65
HR- 1.1

There are times where I need to adjust these but as a baseline they seem to work for me.

satcom

I think you have to give us a little more information than what you've provided. There are factors like the size of the boxes that are taken into account. Have you ever tried using "National estimator"?

I agree job conditions are needed to come up with an accurate estimate, and "National Estimator is a great residential estimator. You can't beat the price, but he will still need to allow for job conditions, even with the best systems.

Really? 235 views and no one has any other input? What do you need to know about job conditions to get a baseline? If it's new residential the conditions are almost always the same. Sure any demo and/ or tie in to existing etc will be more difficult and if you know that you will have to carry your tools a half mile to the site you can add in a "kicker". Also if there are super high ceilings etc but new work resi is new work resi- drill holes, bang up boxes, pull wire, repeat.

I've noticed over the years that many of these types of threads get very little response. It's almost as if people don't have any system at all and are winging it or are afraid to share their secrets for fear of giving something away that will negatively affect them.

satcom

Really? 235 views and no one has any other input? What do you need to know about job conditions to get a baseline? If it's new residential the conditions are almost always the same. Sure any demo and/ or tie in to existing etc will be more difficult and if you know that you will have to carry your tools a half mile to the site you can add in a "kicker". Also if there are super high ceilings etc but new work resi is new work resi- drill holes, bang up boxes, pull wire, repeat.

I've noticed over the years that many of these types of threads get very little response. It's almost as if people don't have any system at all and are winging it or are afraid to share their secrets for fear of giving something away that will negatively affect them.

With new or old work, job conditions will always differ, the trick is to know how the different conditions will change the labor units, or material, and this can be done by having accurate actuals data collected from years of actual unit assembly and unit time records, then when you assemble a new estimate, you will have accurate data to construct the new estimate.
A good example of how conditions differ, is you can have two 6,000 sq ft custom homes, and the layout and equipment can differ to extremes, and the cost of construction will be far from equal.
The reason you may not get many replies, is you can write volumes on this subject.

mcclary's electrical

I very seriously doubt many professionals are just "winging it". I can't speak for everbody else, but I'm simply tired,,,,the last thing I want to do when I come on here is prepare another estimate. I've been working 7 days a week, I don't feel like "playing". His example does not show sq ft or many other lacking details. I would never bid to that description

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: Residential estimating

I think it's likely that most just call nearly everything half an hour and then adjust the whole bid profit percentage for the job at hand.

arits74

Occupation
working owner electrician
3.50 a ft ,count the garage as square ft also,$25 per can light,200 amp service,regular receptacles and switches,1 tv in each room,2 phones,dimmers extra,decorator devices extra.and the price for material is going up seems like daily here so this price may go up soon.im in arkansas

mcclary's electrical

3.50 a ft ,count the garage as square ft also,$25 per can light,200 amp service,regular receptacles and switches,1 tv in each room,2 phones,dimmers extra,decorator devices extra.and the price for material is going up seems like daily here so this price may go up soon.im in arkansas

That's probably close to average around here too. I'm a little higher on the cans than you, I don't put tv's in everyroom unless asked. 2 phones is fair, dimmers extra, decor extra, septic pumping system extra, well pump wire not leaving house, floods extra.

arits74

Occupation
working owner electrician
my friends that are electric contractors also charge so much an opening,so much for switches,so much for 3ways,so much for a 30 amp circuit and so on,we both bid on the same job one time and our prices were very close.i also charge extra when we have to do a well circuit or a septic circuit,they also charge more for cans than me,but at $25 per can i end up making about $5 per can,we use capri cans.

mcclary's electrical

my friends that are electric contractors also charge so much an opening,so much for switches,so much for 3ways,so much for a 30 amp circuit and so on,we both bid on the same job one time and our prices were very close.i also charge extra when we have to do a well circuit or a septic circuit,they also charge more for cans than me,but at $25 per can i end up making about $5 per can,we use capri cans.

Don't let 480 hear you say that:grin:

He'll start talking about how many sq ft in a roll of romex:confused:

He's convinced himself it can't be done that way:roll:

480sparky

True, and I'm only picking.

But what's the difference? there's still all the variables of different construction you always talk about . He's still using a set number instead of visualizing each and every task

And where does the square foot of the dwelling get figured in? He's not saying "2500 ft?? I charge $4 per, so that's 10 large."

He's charging a set price for an given item. If he charges $10 for a duplex, then he'll add more in for a 6,000 ft? house than he will for a 1,200 ft? one.

mcclary's electrical

And where does the square foot of the dwelling get figured in? He's not saying "2500 ft?? I charge $4 per, so that's 10 large."

He's charging a set price for an given item. If he charges $10 for a duplex, then he'll add more in for a 6,000 ft? house than he will for a 1,200 ft? one.

Yes, but I think all of us can glance at plans and see how many openings we'll have. I don't bid per opening, but it seems to be almost the same system

480sparky

Yes, but I think all of us can glance at plans and see how many openings we'll have. I don't bid per opening, but it seems to be almost the same system

Anyone who bids strictly and only by square footage is doomed to fail.

I figure resi using a base price per square foot for general-purpose receptacles & lighting only. Then I figure in the kitchen, elec or gas appliances, heating system, service, etc. And that is not a confirmed price.... it is only an estimate.

mcclary's electrical

Anyone who bids strictly and only by square footage is doomed to fail.I figure resi using a base price per square foot for general-purpose receptacles & lighting only. Then I figure in the kitchen, elec or gas appliances, heating system, service, etc. And that is not a confirmed price.... it is only an estimate.

I knew I could get that out of ya!:grin:

Even though I don't agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.