Thread: GFCI rec

GFCI rec

Can anyone tell me how many duplex rec can be protected from one GFCI and does the code have any Articles that tell me this?

It depends on the manufacturers instructions, if any. The code does not address this.

Thanks for your answer but some inspectors have failed me for puting more than five where are they getting their information

Have you asked them to cite you a code they may be using?

Roger

hhuzzel,

On the outside chance, is it possible that this is a local ordinance? Rule that out.

Save the manufacturer's instruction sheet for the GFCI that you install. When the inspector brings it up, show him, fax him, email him, whatever, the full sheet and ask for where the "five count" limit is stated.

The UL General Information for Electrical Equipment Directory (the so-called "White Book") does not state a limit, nor is it any where in the NEC.
    Another Al in Minnesota

I asked a manufacturer's tech support group if they had a limit on the number of ordinary duplex receptacles that could be protected on the load side of one of their GFCIs.

Their reply: Up to 9 receptacles from a branch circuit can be put on a GFCI, however your local laws dictate how many you allowed to be put. [sic]

Mike
    You may be whatever you resolve to be - Gen. T. J. Jackson
    (Warning: I'm just an electrical engineer, not an electrician. No DIY advice is solicited.)