Legally required Stanby - Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigboto69

Article 701.11E (Connection Ahead of Service disconnecting means)

The code reads - Connections located ahead of and not within the same cabinet, enclosure, or vertical switchboard section as the service disconnecting means shall be permitted. The legally required standby service shall be sufficiently separated from the normal main service disconnecting means to prevent interruptions of supply through an occurance within the building or groups of buildings served.

Known:Building requires
208V 3 phase 800 amp service
208V 3 phase 30 amp standby power for pressurization fan

Now,(speaking through frustration, and curiosity) what is the intent? Why can't I tap on the line side of the main Service disconnecting means? My understanding is I can't legally tap in the same enclosure of the disconnecting means that serves the building! The issue I have is room, and of course money that my clients don't have! I don't have much room to add a Buss gutter ahead of the 800 amp disconnect to tap off for the 30 amp switch, and meter for the pressurization fan.

Do I have other options?

Is there a way around this?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
How are the conductors to the 800 amp switch installed ?
( O.H. Service, Underground, C T Cabinet, etc )

bigboto69

How are the conductors to the 800 amp switch installed ?
( O.H. Service, Underground, C T Cabinet, etc )

That would be good to know.

Over head service - straight into a 800 amp disconnect. The disconnect is part of meter stacks for individual tenants. no CT cans.

I'm unsure about this one. I think I heard that the switch for the pressurization fan may need to be installed in a separate room from the service disconnect that feeds the building. Is that correct?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It is obviously something to be discussed with you AHJ, but I see no Code problem with your installing a 2nd riser from the service drop to a meter/disconnect for your required fan

Status
Not open for further replies.