Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is there anything not wrong in this picture? :rolleyes:

ElectricPlug.jpg

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
It looks like the "adapter" is the correct NEMA configuration for both the plug and the receptacle.

Ragin Cajun

What are you complaining about? At least the house wiring is copper! The last time I saw one of these it was aluminum. And there was lots of black areas everywhere.

RC

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
OK, Larry, I have a great deal of respect for you. You have made great contributions to this Forum, and for that I am grateful.

But you just crossed a line. :mad: You used one of my photographs without giving me artistic credit, and without getting my permission. :mad:

That photo is, in fact, from my house. I took the photo on March 2 of last year, at 6:09:53 in the evening, with my Canon Powershot G2. I have the “camera original” image on my computer at home. In fact, I do believe I posted this very photo on this very Forum, somewhere along that same time frame.

Not long after we bought the house, we had a plumber remove a solar powered water heating system that was old and falling apart. The system included a large tank in a closet at the back of the laundry area. When the plumber removed the tank, it revealed this receptacle and plug.

You want the real interesting part of this story? Guess what was powered by that “extension cord.” Give up? The hallway lights! I mean it. As you walked into a short hallway leading to the laundry room, there was a light switch on the wall to control the overhead lights. The source of power to the overhead lights was that very receptacle.

When I hired an electrician to replace my old Zinsco service panel, I also had him perform a few other tasks. This receptacle was one of them.

I took that photo as a “before” picture. Here is the “after” picture (I believe I had posted this one on the Forum as well). This arrangement still powers the hallway overhead light, but I would like to hope that it is at least a safer (and perhaps even code compliant) installation now.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c106/c_e_beck/ProblemSolved.jpg?t=1183127473

So, Larry, I’ll be standing by to receive my royalty check. :grin:

p.s. I am not really upset. But I do take photography seriously. As your punishment, you will have to visit my “My Favorite Photographs” photo gallery, and tell me how great a photographer I am. :wink:
http://www.pbase.com/cbeck/favorites&page=all

p.p.s. Just out of curiosity, how did you come across this image?

Last edited:

Terrynistler

That looks sweet. The hardware store must love these folks. That must be 10.00 just in adapters and cord cap. I would have just taken the plug out and wire capped to the circuit .20c :grin:

Terrynistler

Charlie

Thats what happens when you put photos on the internet:smile: I checked out your photo section by the way, did you take all those pics pretty d--- good.

I wish it would quit raining in texas so I could get off this computer. I am thinking of taking the trucks out of the shop and building a boat.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Charlie you are quite the skilled photographer. The pictures are fabulous. BTW. it is easy to steal someones pictures. I can go to your website and then copy and paste the picture on my computer or anywhere else. Larry probably copied it when you posted it on the forum.

I stole these pictures from AOL (don't arrest me). It was photos of pictures taken by home inspectors. The first one is a bathroom receptacle (no Gfci protection) Quite amazing. To save space I'll link you all to the pictures-- a short slideshow of the different violations. Some quite ingenious.

http://dalwon.shutterfly.com/action/slideshow?a=67b0de21b32ccf37e411&auto=1&idx=-1&m=1&d=1183153892593

You may have to scroll down to read the captions

Status
Not open for further replies.