restrictions for surface metal raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

Nope, but there are only a limited number of sizes of surface metal raceway available, which will necessarily limit the maximum ampacity of the conductor that can be run within.

donselec

I'm assuming you're referring to Wiremold. 386.12 limits the voltage between conductors to 300 unless the wall of the conduit is atleast 1.02mm thick. I'm not sure what the sizes are for Wiremold. As for amps you'd derate the conductors the same as you would for any conduit. However, see 386.22, if the cross-sectional area of the Wiremold is more than 4 sq. in. you don't have to derate (some other conditions also apply). Hope that helps.

iwire

Staff member
masterinbama said:
if you are using the 500 or 700 series there is an amperage limit of 30 amps if you are using the raceway as the grounding path

Getting a circuit larger than 30 amps in 700 would be a good trick in itself.

mdshunk

masterinbama said:
if you are using the 500 or 700 series there is an amperage limit of 30 amps if you are using the raceway as the grounding path
I think that if you're using 500 or 700 as the EGC, you need your head examined. :grin: I'd put that in the same category as backstabbing recs.

Status
Not open for further replies.