Thread: receptacle outlets at stair landings

receptacle outlets at stair landings

Am I wrong but doesn't stairs count as wall space and a receptacle outlet would be required at the landing??

Not to my knowledge. Do you have a code article in mind to back up your thought?
    Rob

Chief Moderator

All responses based on the 2011 NEC unless otherwise noted

You cannot put anything there to plug in because you don't want anything in your way when you are about to burn up. I'm sure since the NEC is part of the fire code,they would not have us put a recept in a stairwell or landing.
    Action Jackson (A.J.)

Its not a habitable room so no receptacle required.However nothing stops you from putting one in

In the IRC (E3801.2.1) it defines wall space as railing or wall space on the other side

Quote Originally Posted by insparks
    In the IRC (E3801.2.1) it defines wall space as railing or wall space on the other side

Not all wall space automatically require receptacles. One example would be a hallway of less than 10 feet. It has lots of wall space but doesn't require any receptacles. Also a stairway landing doesn't fall under the general provision requirements of 210.52(A)
    Rob

Chief Moderator

All responses based on the 2011 NEC unless otherwise noted

Re: receptacle outlets at stair landings

Quote Originally Posted by insparks
    Am I wrong but doesn't stairs count as wall space and a receptacle outlet would be required at the landing??
    Using this logic you would also need receptacles on the wall space along the stairway itself.
    Not required but not prohibited.
    On some larger landings not a bad idea.
    There are two kinds of people - those smart enough to know they don’t know, and those dumb enough to insist they do.-----Margery Eagan

Open shop since 1988

This landing could be considered a hallway 10 ft rule; however, the print should determine this specifically... ie loft landing hallway use common sense and chose your battles wisely with the inspectors.