RTU Disconnects & GFI Outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Kraemer

In the past when I wired RTU disconnects, I installed a 1/2 offset nipple out of the bottom to a bell box for my GFI outlet. Never failed an inspection for doing that. I haven't installed the disconnects yet, but I had a state inspector tell me today I am not allowed to do it that way.
The RTU disconnects are being fed with (2) #4 thhn, (1) #8 thhn GND & (2) #12 thhn for the GFI outlet, the #12's are/would be feeding through the disconnect to the GFI outlet.
I need a code reference for this, either allowed or not allowed.
Sorry my code book is at the job site & I haven't had a chance to look it up.

Thanks in advance for the help.:smile:

iwire

Staff member
There is no NEC reference prohibiting what you want to do and as a matter of fact you can buy disconnects with GFCIs built in just for this purpose.

Bob Kraemer

iwire said:
There is no NEC reference prohibiting what you want to do and as a matter of fact you can buy disconnects with GFCIs built in just for this purpose.
Thanks Bob, thats what I thought, the RTU's were supposed to come with the disconnects & GFI outlets already installed, but that's not the way they showed up. Imagine that.:rolleyes:

paul

My last job I did this. My PM laid out the core drills and forgot about the 1/2" for the GFCI. Therefore, I ran my 480V ACCU feeders through a 4-11/16 box and joined in the 120V circuit. Inspector had absolutely no problem with it.

If the inspector has a problem, kindly ask him which section or local code you're not complying with.

Inspectorcliff

Bob Kraemer said:
In the past when I wired RTU disconnects, I installed a 1/2 offset nipple out of the bottom to a bell box for my GFI outlet. Never failed an inspection for doing that. I haven't installed the disconnects yet, but I had a state inspector tell me today I am not allowed to do it that way.
The RTU disconnects are being fed with (2) #4 thhn, (1) #8 thhn GND & (2) #12 thhn for the GFI outlet, the #12's are/would be feeding through the disconnect to the GFI outlet.
I need a code reference for this, either allowed or not allowed.
Sorry my code book is at the job site & I haven't had a chance to look it up.

Thanks in advance for the help.:smile:
Try 210.63 I don't know of any others that apply.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've also done the same thing recently: 3 #10's for the 3-ph RTU and 2 #12's for the GFCI receptacle, the latter passing through the disco and all sharing the same 3/4" conduit.

In fact, the same conduit also picks up the AHU inside on its way to the panel. To make it even more interesting, the 3 #10's pass through the 1-ph panel from the 3-ph panel.

ksmith846

Here in Florida most inspectors do not allow the GFCI to be mounted on the Disconnect, ststing that the disconnect cannot be used as a raceway. I pull the GFCI branch circuit in with the RTU feeder up to the RTU.....I then separate the wiring inside of the RTU. Taking the feeders to the Disconnect and the GFCI circuit to the GFCI outlet. I mount the Disconnect and the GFCI bell box directly to the RTU housing using chase nipples to install the wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.