Is the meter considered a main disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

House was built a few years ago. I open up the 200amp main and there's a 100amp breaker feeding a subpanel, and two 40amp breakers. But nothing to shut off the main. It's a lateral riser, if that matters. I always thought you had to have breaker to protect the main busbars from overload, and for use as a disconnect.:confused: Thank you for your help.:)

Jim W in Tampa

House was built a few years ago. I open up the 200amp main and there's a 100amp breaker feeding a subpanel, and two 40amp breakers. But nothing to shut off the main. It's a lateral riser, if that matters. I always thought you had to have breaker to protect the main busbars from overload, and for use as a disconnect.:confused: Thank you for your help.:)

Your allowed 6 throws so you have 3 mains. The panel might not be listed to be used that way.

erickench

The NEC does'nt seem to require a main disconnect when you already have two or more disconnects. But it does'nt forbid it either. No the meter is not a disconnect.

hurk27

Panels pryor to 2008 with supply conductors that include a neutral and having more than 10 percent of its overcurrent devices protecting branch circuits rated 30 amperes or less shall be protected by an overcurrent protective device but this was changed in 2008, so sounds compliant to me.

480sparky

Panels pryor to 2008 with supply conductors that include a neutral and having more than 10 percent of its overcurrent devices protecting branch circuits rated 30 amperes or less shall be protected by an overcurrent protective device but this was changed in 2008, so sounds compliant to me.

That's the definition of a lighting & appliance panel. Nothing to do with the six throws of the hand rule.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
230.71(A)

230.71 Maximum Number of Disconnects.
(A) General. The service disconnecting means for each service permitted by 230.2, or for each set of service-entrance conductors permitted by 230.40, Exception No. 1, 3, 4, or 5, shall consist of not more than six switches or sets of circuit breakers, or a combination of not more than six switches and sets of circuit breakers, mounted in a single enclosure, in a group of separate enclosures, or in or on a switchboard. There shall be not more than six sets of disconnects per service grouped in any one location.

e57

To the specific question in the title "Is the meter considered a main disconnect?" the answer IMO is NO... Otherwise it's code compliant as is - from the comfy chair....

The service conductors are not 'protected' by anything short circuit wise - the utility may or may not fuse the transformer, or even groups of transformers. Which makes pulling the meter an arc flash hazard more than a means of disconnect.

But 6 switches are fine. And hopefully there is over-current above the load and below the service conductor capacity.

jetlag

mobile home lateral

mobile home lateral

This sounds like a mobile home lateral service, All Ive ever worked on with underground service had an outside pedestal with meter socket and a 200 a disconnect. The bus remains hot and the 200a breaker that feeds the inside panel plugs in the buss like and other breaker. And there are a couple of extra spaces for for well pump and things outside. If the inside panel was 100 amp then a 100 a breaker was used to fed that and the 200 breaker was not used or removed. Im not sure if there was a point when the code changed requiring the main to kill the buss on a main disconnect but they all seem to now. To answer question the meter is not a disconnect because it does not protect the 4 wire feeder to the panel . And yes your system does meet the the requirements at the time it was installed. and can remain as long as you dont run a new service. It might still pass now if the hot buss has not been stopped, that Im not sure about.

Status
Not open for further replies.