Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6 wires 3P motor with no diagram for connection 240 or 480?

6 wires 3P motor with no diagram for connection 240 or 480?

I bought the used machine with 11KW, 3P motor. Thinking that it's run by 480vac. We were getting ready to try it and just to make sure it is wired to 480 configuration I opened the motor terminal cover to check the connections. There a plate but the 480 is scratched, no 240/480 wire configuration diagram. It has 6 wires coming out fron motor. 2 wires to each phase, 3 pairs of wires to each phase. How can I determine if the motor is set up for 240, 3p or 480, 3p?
    I was thinking of hooking up 240, 3p to it and measure the current and compare with calculated value.
    Will the speed change fron 240 to 480? I know speed is determined by cycle and poles.
    Thanks

Do the leads still have identfication?

T1, T2, etc.

The 3 phase dual voltage motors I have seen have 9 leads. 6 leads sounds like single voltage.
    John, Chair City, NC
    Technology: Mans best efforts to make things as good as they used to be

There's no numbers. If there's number how can I find out?

Seen this type of motor, mostly on european machines, food machines, but they had terminals on them. They can be wired DELTA Or WYEN , for Y tie three ends togheter ,then the 3 wire remaining will be line 1,2,3 380 volts. For DELTA wire them in series and the 3 tie points will be Line 1,2,3 240 volts. check windings with a ohm meter to identify first, run motor without load and check amperage on all 3 lines that they are the same. hope it helps............

Thanks Onitram, we have few European motors and they have 6 wires. Y for high voltage and Delta for low voltage. If the terminal letters u, v, w are not there I can ohm them out and find each winding: u, v, w. How do I know which side is u1 or u2, v1 or v2, w1 or w2?

It will make no differince witch end of the windings that you use.
    Frank Arizona,USA

Quote Originally Posted by benaround
    seen in a book sometime ago how to identify 9 lead motor when id number faded away, it was done in steps with motor enrgized short time, if i find it iwill reply.

Frank,
    Yes it sure will. If the wires from one coil are reversed in respect to the others the resulting magnetic field will be in oposition to the the motor rotation.
    Don
    Don, Illinois
    "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." B Franklin

Re: 6 wires 3P motor with no diagram for connection 240 or 4

Quote Originally Posted by teal854t
    I bought the used machine with 11KW, 3P motor. Thinking that it's run by 480vac. We were getting ready to try it and just to make sure it is wired to 480 configuration I opened the motor terminal cover to check the connections. There a plate but the 480 is scratched, no 240/480 wire configuration diagram. It has 6 wires coming out fron motor. 2 wires to each phase, 3 pairs of wires to each phase. How can I determine if the motor is set up for 240, 3p or 480, 3p?
    I was thinking of hooking up 240, 3p to it and measure the current and compare with calculated value.
    Will the speed change fron 240 to 480? I know speed is determined by cycle and poles.
    Don is correct, you can't relay on an ohm meter alone. I've never wired a motor that didn't have ANY markings. Sometimes the markings are where the wires come out of the motor housing. You also said you were just checking to make sure it was wired for 480 V. Did the electricians just "guess" or did they find the wire markings?

"11kw" tells me that it's a Euro machine. Name plate should have all the 50 hz ratings.

Like the others have said, if it is dual voltage 200/400, 240/480V, you should see that on the nameplate and it should be connected WYE. Line connects 1, 2, 3 to u, v, w respectively. The other three connect together what ever they call them.

Let us know what you find.