Equipotential Bonding Grid???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a slight promblems with this new system my state code officials are starting to use. That is of course Equipotential Bonding Grid around a hot tub on concrete, pation blocks or stone! Among our electrical staff and calling inspectors i cannot recieve an answer about existing slabs or blocks. they are tlling us to utilize rubber mats. Is there another way to go about existing slabs or blocks? If not where can i get these mats?

Thanks
Ryan
:-?

jamesguy10

Umm im not even going to try to answer this. I got a headache halfway through and the question doesn't make sense anyways. Im going to be nice and hold back what i wanted to say

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Seems like he's asking about the e-grid in existing slab installations. Does he have to chop the slab? But the slab may not even have rebar in it.

Thanks

Thanks

Hey george thanks that helped a little bit, and sry to everyone else for the confusion. Yes all i need to know is what to do when a existing slad or patio block setup is installed prior to the electrical estimate for a hot tub?

Should we have to chop up the slab and hope that the concrete guy put in rebar and if so did he install it correctly?

Ive been told by one inspector in this case to install rubber mats on top of the patio, or install a rasied decking above the surface! We as electricians shouldnt have to do this.

I hope that is a little clearer for everyone.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, there is no relief for an old pad with a new hot tub sitting on it.

If the inspector is going to enforce the letter of the law, then in my opinion a wood deck must be built or another pad poured atop the existing, with rebar in it to bond to.

This doesn't mean that you must do the actual deck-building or concrete pouring, any more than you would build the six risers of stairs that would require switches at each end as required in 210.70 - it's another example of each trade knowing how other trade's requirements affect them.

In my experience, the e-bonding grid under hot tubs goes largely unenforced, so I've never heard of anyone locally having to do anything drastic as a result.

I would recommend to the homeowner to have a wood deck constructed to bring the hot tub into compliance with the NEC.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
georgestolz said:
I would recommend to the homeowner to have a wood deck constructed to bring the hot tub into compliance with the NEC.

Excellent advice and I would add that I would not install the wiring unless something was done to provide relief for the bonding. I don't get the rubber mats---- put them down gets inspected and the homeowners picks them up---unless they are more permanent than that I don't think it is a wise option.

Oakey

On an existing slab recently the local inspector gave the OK for " spa pads" to be used underneath via the homeowners 78 phone calls to him. It came in 6 FT sections and passed but looked cheap and flimsy. A wooden deck around is a better option if not just for the cosmetic value alone.

Thanks!!!

Thanks!!!

George... Thanks alot that is a great way to put things. i highly apreciate the help that you have suggested to me. I will deffinatly pass the word along.

rcarroll

georgestolz said:
In my experience, the e-bonding grid under hot tubs goes largely unenforced, so I've never heard of anyone locally having to do anything drastic as a result.

That's because they rarely get inspected. In the 8 years I've been inspecting, I've only inspected one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.