210.52(c)(3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

24 " cord

24 " cord

1793 said:
I'll try, In the Kitchen one wall has the countertop with sink and such.
If standing at the Kitchen counter directly behind you there is a Peninsula that is attached to the wall and extends about 3 1/2 to 4' from the wall. If there is a receptacle on the wall where this Peninsula is attached is another receptacle needed to fulfill the requirement of 210.52(C)(3)?

Is this better?

I was under impression a 24" cord on appliance much reach a recep. on counter top so a recep must be within 2 ft from ends of counter and all in between 4 ft centers. If this is true the peninsula needs another any way because would need 4ft cord to reach the wall outlet

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
jetlag said:
I was under impression a 24" cord on appliance much reach a recep. on counter top so a recep must be within 2 ft from ends of counter and all in between 4 ft centers. If this is true the peninsula needs another any way because would need 4ft cord to reach the wall outlet
This only applies to countertop space along a wall. A peninsula or island only needs one per 12" x 24" or larger area.

1793 said:
Lets see if this helps.

That picture helps a lot.

There are all kinds of scenarios in our work day that take a little different thinking, as it is not the "normal" installation.
In 31 years of work, that is the first peninsula that I have seen installed like that. It is a free standing peninsula and the receptacle on the wall would satisfy the countertop requirement.

As has been stated, the peninsulas (at least the ones I have seen) generally are attached to another part of the countertop and those type peninsulas start at the connection point to the normal wall countertops.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Pierre, I agree with you and Larry - but I also believe there is a chance that the AHJ could see the first 24" of depth from the wall as "Wall counter space", requiring a receptacle, and everything thereafter being "peninsula", requiring one receptacle somewhere in that space.

Since there is a breakfast bar hanging off the back side, then the receptacle couldn't go there and be the "peninsula receptacle" - it would have to be cut in the end where it would be offensive to the customer.

Given two ways of looking at it, the AHJ would have to decide which view is more accurate (90.4) - so Norb really should either check with the AHJ or be prepared in case the AHJ agrees with the view I expressed above.

What arguments would you present if the inspector said "It's a countertop and then a peninsula..." ? :)

Edit to add - We keep calling it a peninsula, but isn't it actually an island? ;)

JohnJ0906

How can it be an island when it is attached to the mainland - I mean wall? :grin:

FWIW, I would explain to the HO that we will go with the outlet on the wall for now, and if the inspector has a problem, I will add one on the end, at additional expense. If she still has a problem, she can ask the AHJ for a varience.

I've given up beating my head against the wall with some people, just not worth it.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
JohnJ0906 said:
How can it be an island when it is attached to the mainland - I mean wall? :grin:
John, that's exactly it - if it's a "peninsula", then by definition it would have to be attached to "wall counter space". If that's the case, two receptacles would be required.

If it's an "island", then there is only one entity and one receptacle alone is required to serve it.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Well that settles it then. :D ;)

Sorry, I goofed: there are three interpretations as to what that thing is: an island, a peninsula, and wall-counter space with a peninsula attached. :D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
georgestolz said:
there are three interpretations as to what that thing is: an island, a peninsula, and wall-counter space with a peninsula attached. :D

I can go with either a peninsula or a counter space with a peninsula attached but I cannot agree with the island concept. I might be missing something but in my eyes an island is not attached to a wall and is open all around it.

Since the code does not really define this space clearly it definitely will get interpreted differently by many inspectors and electricians.

Occupation
Inspector
georgestolz said:
Well that settles it then. :D ;)

Sorry, I goofed: there are three interpretations as to what that thing is: an island, a peninsula, and wall-counter space with a peninsula attached. :D

I know the AHJ has the final word, I was trying to be prepared discussion if it comes to that. This is a great place to discuss situations like this with others in the trade.

Davis9

For what it is woorth the only time I had this the Local Inspector made me put one on the end as well. I wasn't planning on it though, so I tried to make him look away at something else... That didn't work.LOL I ended up installing the one on the end. It is a poorly worded section, since this situation is not clearly defined.IMHO of course.

Tom:D

Status
Not open for further replies.