grounding mat???

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig65

I was asked by another electrician if I knew where to by a grounding mat
he said it was a new code in the nec that stated you had to have one at every service, comm or res.I have asked several people about it and all I get is funny looks. anyone else heard of it...I havent; Do you think he might have ment a static mat.... used in the computer industy?????:confused:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
craig65 said:
I was asked by another electrician if I knew where to by a grounding mat. He said it was a new code in the nec that stated you had to have one at every service, comm or res. I:confused:

Your friend is either pulling your leg or he/she is confused. Your friend may be thinking of a plate electrode but that is not required everywhere either

A ground mat or grounding mat is a flat, flexible pad used for working on electrostatic sensitive devices. It is generally made of a conductive plastic or metal mesh covered substrate which is electrically attached to ground. This helps discharge any static which a worker has built up, as well as any static on tools or exposed components laid on the mat. It is used most commonly in computer repair.

Hi,

Are you sure that he did not mean an insulated mat to prevent grounding? When I took an electrical safety / arc flash training course the instructor reccomended a rubber mat to stand on.

Darrell

Hi,
Did he mean a rubber mat to prevent grounding? I took an electrical safety/arc flash course and the instructor repeatidly stressed this as a safety item to be used.

Darrell

joe tedesco

Grounding Mat??

Grounding Mat??

Maybe he was referring to this?

To comply with OSHA 1920.269, Equi-Mat? Personal Protective Ground Grid provides a portable equipotential zone for workers on the ground just as a cluster bar (chain binder) does in overhead grounding practices. The *patented design consists of a grillwork of flexible copper braid on a durable mat to be connected to the de-energized system component or vehicle and a known ground.

http://www.hubbellpowersystems.com/powertest/products/ProdMoPDF/2007_Mar2.pdf

zog

"Did he mean a rubber mat to prevent grounding? I took an electrical safety/arc flash course and the instructor repeatidly stressed this as a safety item to be used."

How can a mat prevent grounding? Rubber mats can be a suplemental safety item but by no means can prevent grounding there are plant of other things you may be touching. Did this safety instructor by chance work for a company that makes rubber mats?

Kri-Tech

We manufacture 'Ground Mats'. These are not grounding mats but a bond mat that creates an equipotential zone.
These mats are widely used and we do have instances where they have saved lives.

{MODERATOR'S NOTE: Web address removed. We don't allow advertising on this Forum. If anyone is interested in more information, please send a Private Message to Kri-Tech.}

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.