Campground Outlet requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
551.71 states 20a 125v outlet for every site.....So in needing a 50 /30 set up for pull thrus a GFCI would be needed also >>>does the outlet (GFCI protected) on the outside of each RV cover this? Considering the only time it would be used is when someone is on that site. We want to install 50/30 units with no 20a GFCI due to the constant replacement issues with these outlets. I have been a Master Electrician a long time and I have never seen GFCI?s go bad like I have in this campground. Almost every single one has been changed at least once...oddly enough they don't get used that much. Almost every unit including pop ups has a GFCI outlet built in and mounted outside why would this not be acceptable...or is this the Authority having Jurisdiction makes the decision? also same article states "Additional receptacles shall be permitted for the connection of electrical equipment outside the RV???" Sounds like its optional ? Another thought >>551.73 calculating loads. 50 amp = 9600 watts and no mention of adding 2400 for each 20 amp GFCI...
Your thoughts?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
IMO, you must include a 120v 20 amp GFCI recpetacle at each site per the 1st sentance.
I do not read any exeptions.
also you will note in 551.73, the calcuaktred load is based on the highest amperage receptacle.

Last edited:

arits74

Occupation
working owner electrician
551.71 states 20a 125v outlet for every site.....So in needing a 50 /30 set up for pull thrus a GFCI would be needed also >>>does the outlet (GFCI protected) on the outside of each RV cover this? Considering the only time it would be used is when someone is on that site. We want to install 50/30 units with no 20a GFCI due to the constant replacement issues with these outlets. I have been a Master Electrician a long time and I have never seen GFCI?s go bad like I have in this campground. Almost every single one has been changed at least once...oddly enough they don't get used that much. Almost every unit including pop ups has a GFCI outlet built in and mounted outside why would this not be acceptable...or is this the Authority having Jurisdiction makes the decision? also same article states "Additional receptacles shall be permitted for the connection of electrical equipment outside the RV???" Sounds like its optional ? Another thought >>551.73 calculating loads. 50 amp = 9600 watts and no mention of adding 2400 for each 20 amp GFCI...
Your thoughts?
we were at a campsite once and the people in the next spot over had a tent set up with a window ac sitting in the door,so guys like this would have to have an adapter if there was no 120 volt receptacle,LOL

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I agree with Augie and arits - the 20A receptacle is required. Not everyone has a RV with a 30A or 50A whip. Someone may want to just pitch a tent and plug in a radio. If they don't have a 20A receptacle, odds are they will try to rig up something.

Maybe the original GFCI receptacles were just cheap. Maybe you should try installing some industrial spec grade ones or something from a reputable manufacturer.

Steve

GFCI were Levitons...I have seen issues with those tiny tiny ants getting into breakers and stopping them from re-setting. Wondering now if this is the same issue with the GFCI's.

Steve 66 what RV have you seen that doesn't have a 30 or 50 whip? I see hundreds...really hundreds the only thing I have seen that is just stupid was a guy with a 30amp rig and he changed the plug to a standard 120v / 20amp
Too cheap to buy the right one I guess

They have primitive sites with no power/water/sewer...but they are sites. So per NEC those are in violation because there is nothing...Code says every site must have 20amp outlet right? I know he would change that and I don't blame him.

eric7379

EZ Generator Switch said:
They have primitive sites with no power/water/sewer...but they are sites. So per NEC those are in violation because there is nothing...Code says every site must have 20amp outlet right? I know he would change that and I don't blame him.

Re-read the very first sentence of 551.71 and you shall find the answer to your own question. First sentence of 551.71 "Every recreational vehicle site with electrical supply"

iwire

Staff member
Re-read the very first sentence of 551.71 and you shall find the answer to your own question. First sentence of 551.71 "Every recreational vehicle site with electrical supply"

Exactly, if the site has any power outlet at all at least one of them will be a 20 amp 125 volt receptacle.

Same as 210.70(A)(2) requires illumination at detached garages IF the garage has power.

Status
Not open for further replies.