Twisting ground wires in romex

Status
Not open for further replies.

68electro

Does the code allow to twist all romex ground wires in a box and then pigtail to a ground screw without using a copper barrel crimp or green wire nut?
I had about 3 inches of twist, but the inspector wanted barrel crimps.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Does the code allow to twist all romex ground wires in a box and then pigtail to a ground screw without using a copper barrel crimp or green wire nut?
Yes it does

I had about 3 inches of twist, but the inspector wanted barrel crimps.
Ask the inspector to show you where this can be seen in writing.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree. IMO there should be no twisting other than the part that's under the wire nut.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Roger, did you read the question correctly?

OP, I agree with the inspector. Just twisting the wires is not compliant.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor

Yeah, I missed the "without" part too. Until recently we did not have inspections up here, A friend of mine had me inspect the builder's electricians work, He had several violations one of which was he just twisted the wires without crimps or wirenuts, he was insulted when I told him it did not meet code, he said "We don't do things that way up here". Since we have inspections now, I bet he's really PO'ed now!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Hello Curt, yes I did read the question correctly and it asked if a barrel crimp or "green" wire nut was required which neither one is specifically required, any approved method of splicing conductors is fine. I never implied that "twisting only" was an approved method.

Roger

Last edited:

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hello Curt, yes I did read the question correctly and it asked if a barrel crimp or "green" wire nut was required which neither one is specifically required, any approved method of splicing conductors is fine. I never implied that "twisting only" was an approved method.

Roger
Hi Roger, I guess your answer was correct but I thought you were agreeing that just twisting was sufficient.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I can't answer for infinity. First it is a wasted effort. Second, it makes a very stiff wire that is hard to bend back into the box. Why make work for yourself that only causes carpal tunel ? Oop's forgot a wire. Need a winch to get it back out of the box.

How tight would you be twisting them? I like them twisted because it's easier to manage as a single entity than 4-5 conductors all choosing their own path as I try to bend them back.

kwired

Electron manager
How tight would you be twisting them? I like them twisted because it's easier to manage as a single entity than 4-5 conductors all choosing their own path as I try to bend them back.

4-12AWG twisted together becomes a single 6AWG as far as approximate cross sectional area. It becomes more difficult to manage a #6 in a small box - now if you have 4 12AWG cables entering a box we are likely talking about at least a 2 gang box if it contains devices, or 4 inch square with mud ring.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
why only under the the wire nut?

I can't answer for infinity. First it is a wasted effort. Second, it makes a very stiff wire that is hard to bend back into the box. Why make work for yourself that only causes carpal tunnel ? Oop's forgot a wire. Need a winch to get it back out of the box.

OEJ pretty much summed it up. I'm usually the guy who has to open that splice with 4" of bare conductors twisted together. :roll:

One-eyed Jack

Wus....:grin:

I am not having as much trouble as the nails and the plastic box. Like Infinity said I am the one who usually has to unwind that joint to fix someone else boo-boo. The twisters I have been behind twisted everthing all the way back to the conduit or cable clamp. Now we have the equivalent of 3-4 # 6 solid wires to stuff in a plastic box.

Status
Not open for further replies.