Aux control wiring OCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

wch

Mfr says to use 2 #18 AWG connected from auxiliary contacts in a 30/25/3W fused safety switch wired to a local manual controller on wheelchair lift. The
120 V. circuit is fed from a 25/1P CB. Does the 18 AWG control circuit need an in-line fuse? (Safety switch serves the 120v., 1-1/2 HP chair lift motor.)

wch

To: Dennis Alwon

To: Dennis Alwon

Control ckt is 120--(I think the control supply is supposed to come out of the same 120v safety switch line side.) But, the chair lift may have a control T/F to supply the controller circuit--
then the aux contacts enable the control circuit when the safety switch is turned ON. I didn't see a mfr's diagram.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am not sure , to be honest. I don't see these as feeder taps so that takes you to art.240.21(A) which directs you to 210.19 and 210.20. After reading them I think aux. OCP is necessary--- someone else want to chime in.

If the branch circuit conductors are #12 or #10 just run that size and be safe.

wch

Reply to Dennis

Reply to Dennis

Thanks a lot for the free advice--article 725 is a bottomless pit--
yes-- I would take the easy way out and use #12, but I'm
supposed to know the answers using insufficient information--
that's what engineers are supposed to do from what I hear.
I just added a catch all note to provide all necessary OCP
and connect per mfr's wiring diagram.

wch

To Dennis & Jusme

To Dennis & Jusme

That looks like a wrap. The 25A is good for the 18 AWGcontrol to the motor load per my 2005 NEC 430.72 (B) (2).
I appreciate your help.
wch

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
That looks like a wrap. The 25A is good for the 18 AWGcontrol to the motor load per my 2005 NEC 430.72 (B) (2).
I appreciate your help.
wch

That is true if the conductor does not leave the enclosure of the branch circuit. If you need to run these conductors to a wall unit or somewhere other than the enclosure for the branch circuit then you need a 7 amp OCP. At least that is how I read it.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
yw. can you both take a look at my post in the lighting section regarding inboard/outboard lights

cadpoint

Mfr says to use 2 #18 AWG connected from auxiliary contacts in a 30/25/3W fused safety switch wired to a local manual controller on wheelchair lift. The
120 V. circuit is fed from a 25/1P CB. Does the 18 AWG control circuit need an in-line fuse? (Safety switch serves the 120v., 1-1/2 HP chair lift motor.)

Just a thought! It is probably the wrong 1 ...... nevermind :)

Last edited:

wch

Meaning, the control wires can run from the fused switch in the same raceway with the
branch circuit conductors to the motor located in the
wheelchair lift enclosure--say about 24" ?
wch

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Meaning, the control wires can run from the fused switch in the same raceway with the
branch circuit conductors to the motor located in the
wheelchair lift enclosure--say about 24" ?
wch
I don't think so. If the control wires originate in an enclosure then it must remain in the enclosure unless you fuse it at 7 amps.

wch

Reply to Larry Fine Re: control wires outside encl.

Reply to Larry Fine Re: control wires outside encl.

Larry,

Once again, I thank you. I'm still in the dark on control circuits--it will
take a lot more study.

wch

Status
Not open for further replies.