Service calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

splinetto

I am wondering what most people charge for a ser call. Lets say 8 cans cut in and tied into and 2 existing lights. My apprentice and myself took a total of 6 hrs to get them all in... What would you or your shop charge? It cost the lady $859, about $100 a can, I was just wondering what other people charge.

POWER_PIG

wow!

wow!

140 bux an hour???
thats a bit steep for where Im at.
Did she hit you with her purse when you gave her the bill?

480sparky

POWER_PIG said:
140 bux an hour???
He supplied material, didn't he? Ya gotta subtract that before you divide.

Also, how difficult was the installation? Was this in an 8-foot ceiling, or a 14-foot one? Did she have white carpet? Did you have to be ultra-neat and tidy? Vacuum the dust as you cut the ceiling?

Last edited:

splinetto

Labor rate is $80 an hour,which includes apart of the owners profit, $ 40 serv call fee, and material...What got me was material cost were around $110 and they jacked that up I think another $200 for mark up he told me...She said that was more than she expected however if I would fo installed them on the rough in it would of cost her around $1200 with the builders mark up in ther too

splinetto

It was hard wood floor which helped and I had her cover up everything. I pick up all my stuff but left her to vaccumm ...all the drywall dust

480sparky

splinetto said:
Labor rate is $80 an hour,which includes apart of the owners profit, $ 40 serv call fee, and material...What got me was material cost were around $110 and they jacked that up I think another $200 for mark up he told me...She said that was more than she expected however if I would fo installed them on the rough in it would of cost her around $1200 with the builders mark up in ther too

Huh??? He said... she said...??
"Jacked up another $200....." So what did your material cost? 110 or 310?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
splinetto said:
It was hard wood floor which helped and I had her cover up everything. I pick up all my stuff but left her to vaccumm ...all the drywall dust

You need to get one of these. It catches all the dust.

HP-in-Use.jpg

splinetto

480sparky said:
Huh??? He said... she said...??
"Jacked up another $200....." So what did your material cost? 110 or 310?
The shops cost is $110 but he said there is a mark up.... Our service call guy might work off commission Im thinking... The boss gets the profit off the Labor rate and Im guessing the Serv Call guy , whatever he is, gets the mark up..

splinetto

Dennis Alwon said:

HP-in-Use.jpg
That looks nice and im sure it works great, however If the shop sends one out Im quiting.......Leave me in the new houses....unless they dont have any where else for me to go

480sparky

Now I'm really confused. You originally stated it was you and an apprentice. Now "The Service Guy" is marking things up, adding the boss's cut....
How can you price a job if you don't even know what your labor and material costs are?

emahler

no lie, would have been about $1200 +/- in Central NJ.

might be 6 hrs on site, but it's a full 8 hour day for 2 men...

still not a big money maker....but we would have thrown in the dimmer for free:D

480sparky

Dennis Alwon said:

I just use an old basketball I cut up. It was free and does just as good of a job. When I wear it out or lose it, I still have the other half.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
480sparky said:
I just use an old basketball I cut up. It was free and does just as good of a job. When I wear it out or lose it, I still have the other half.

Boy, that must be one sharp basketball. :grin: :grin:

splinetto

480sparky said:
Now I'm really confused. You originally stated it was you and an apprentice. Now "The Service Guy" is marking things up, adding the boss's cut....
How can you price a job if you don't even know what your labor and material costs are?
I was told to go over there and get it done ,with my cub, after I was done I called the shop and told them how long and what matterial..

480sparky

So you didn't set the price, your boss did?
Why the interest in what everyone else charges? If she thought it was too high, she should call the office.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I dont think that is a bad price. Again material time, and professionalism.

No holes right??? Or if there are you fix them.
Thats a lot of work to retro fit 8 cans in. I guess I should ask did you have access from above? I think my shop charges 140 per can. We install 1104 ICR lightolier most of the time.

splinetto

480sparky said:
So you didn't set the price, your boss did?
Why the interest in what everyone else charges? If she thought it was too high, she should call the office.
It was t&m...Just curiosity as to what was cost in diff places..

celtic

splinetto said:
I am wondering what most people charge for a ser call. Lets say 8 cans cut in and tied into and 2 existing lights.

I would charge $1301.28 for installing JUST the cans.
I don't know what you mean by "2 existing lights." - what about them?

splinetto

celtic said:
I would charge $1301.28 for installing JUST the cans.
I don't know what you mean by "2 existing lights." - what about them?
I did not have to add a switch...the ceiling fan in each room was only using one switch leg so I tied the can switch leg into the fan box

Status
Not open for further replies.