Thread: What type of meter socket?

What type of meter socket?

In the West Texas area we are forced by Xcel Energy to install a 200 amp, lever bypass, locking jaw, ringless type meter socket. Even if you are installing a temporary power pole, if you have a standard 100 amp socket or even a 200 amp lever bypass without the locking jaw Xcel will not connect it. Xcel says they are wanting to standardize the meter sockets. That is fine by me, we simply add the cost to the job. But for a temp power pole? Who else in here has problems of this nature?

Quote Originally Posted by dduffee260
    But for a temp power pole? Who else in here has problems of this nature?
    All of us?

We all have to use the socket the local power company accepts.

I don't understand why you would expect them to let it slide just because it is a temp set up.

Not me!

IPL the local power company here in Indy has their standard for a meter base but supplies the meter base. For temp poles pretty much any meter base will do.
    Do you really care what I think?

Not about Meter bases but.....
    Last weekend I took a temporary off a 6" diameter creosote pole and placed it on a 6" square treated pole. The AHJ doesn't accept round poles for temporary....go figure. A while back (not that long) I've seen temporaries nailed to trees, no problem. "The times they are a changin" (Bob Dylan).
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly
    The AHJ doesn't accept round poles for temporary....
    Do they have a local amendment or did they just make this up?

It could be all about the Deregulation in Texas
    Centerpoint which used to be HL&P supplied meter cans a few years ago.
    Now we have to buy them. Only 2 requirements, UL listed, (the old ones they suppied werent) & must have the ring on the exterior to install a lockband ring.
    Home Depot sells one without the locking ring.
    I had to change one once, when 2 days before I had one accepted next door.
    Go figure...

FYI 200 amp 3phase overhead $150.00 Rexal Summers

Quote Originally Posted by iwire
    Do they have a local amendment or did they just make this up?
    I would think it is more than likely the POCO and the inspector is just being nice enough to let him know.
    Larry in Michigan

I don't know if it's a local amendment or one man's idea. I knew beforehand, so I changed it out in my shop before I installed it. It's in a neighboring county and the POCO is the same for both, so it's not their idea. I don't argue with the AHJ on things that don't have hard and fast rules, I can't win.
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly
    I don't know if it's a local amendment or one man's idea. I knew beforehand, so I changed it out in my shop before I installed it. It's in a neighboring county and the POCO is the same for both, so it's not their idea. I don't argue with the AHJ on things that don't have hard and fast rules, I can't win.
    steve
    Just for some satisfaction, would you ask the AHJ there for code section to back this practice up? I am not suggesting you argue with him, just explain. I try to find out why they prefer something a certain way when I'm not in agreement. A lot of the time I learn things this way.
    Larry in Michigan