Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In-use covers

In-use covers

Let's not get into local issues, just the NEC. On a new single family dwelling, are in-use covers required on all exterior receptacles? If so Code article numbers would be great. Thanks have a great day.

Read 406.8
    Mike Whitt
    God answers Knee-Mail.

Quote Originally Posted by dad
    Let's not get into local issues, just the NEC. On a new single family dwelling, are in-use covers required on all exterior receptacles? If so Code article numbers would be great. Thanks have a great day.

They are only required on a receptacle in wet locations. A hinged type cover can be used in damp locations.
    Rob

Chief Moderator

All responses based on the 2011 NEC unless otherwise noted

Due to varied interpretations of "protected from the weather", I have taken to installing in-use covers in all locations outside. Just my preference.

Quote Originally Posted by georgestolz
    Due to varied interpretations of "protected from the weather", I have taken to installing in-use covers in all locations outside. Just my preference.

Would your customers be happy with a big bubble cover hanging on the underside of their outdoor soffits? Mine would scream if they had to look at those ugly covers hanging there.
    Rob

Chief Moderator

We typically use a 45-degree angle for wind-blown rain in determining the wet/damp issue. In other words, if the receptacle is 7' below the roof edge, it needs to be at least 7' under the protecting roof/eave, etc. to avoid the bubble.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Quote Originally Posted by infinity
    Would your customers be happy with a big bubble cover hanging on the underside of their outdoor soffits? Mine would scream if they had to look at those ugly covers hanging there.
    And herein lies the problem !!! Your AHJ and the NEC may require you to install those bubble covers but I can guarantee you that those will quickly change to the flip cover after the inspection process (either by an electrician or by the homeowner). Manufacturers (like Intermatic) are touting slogans on their products that indicate "It's the Code" but I'd be willing to bet that none of them live in a mega-mansion that took a $million or so to build.

My opinion, either re-write the code to include only those receptacles that have a definite use and have a cord plugged in at all times or compel the manufacturers to come up with a product that isn't so obtrusive and that can be easily attached to an outdoor receptacle by a homeowner.

Just my opinion. Not looking to become part of the CMP !!!

Phil I doubt this is what you meant but it sounds like your saying there should be a separate set of rules for folks who have mega-mansions that took a $million or so to build.

How about this, they pay a little more for the carpenters to build a cubby hole in the wall to hide the outlet or have the electrician use a recessed box like the one Arlington sells?

http://www.aifittings.com/whnew74.htm

Quote Originally Posted by infinity
    No, that is an exception. I use damp covers for the soffits.

Quote Originally Posted by georgestolz
    No, that is an exception. I use damp covers for the soffits.

We do also. I was saying that in response to the OP question that all exterior receptacles do not require so called in-use covers.
    Rob

Chief Moderator