state inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.

grayeagle

we bot a call to clean up a pedastal for a new mobil home (single wide) . we called the inspector just to see what he would like to see done. we took care of his list and then some after we finished we tested all curcuits with the basic receptical tester because he wanted a polarity check done, the test was good. he came out today only to give us more work to do after we allready ask what he wanted done. on top of that he want us to take a wire from the pedistal gnd to all the resepticals to test for his polarity test. whats up with this state inspector ?

inspector23

grayeagle said:
we bot a call to clean up a pedastal for a new mobil home (single wide) . we called the inspector just to see what he would like to see done. we took care of his list and then some after we finished we tested all curcuits with the basic receptical tester because he wanted a polarity check done, the test was good. he came out today only to give us more work to do after we allready ask what he wanted done. on top of that he want us to take a wire from the pedistal gnd to all the resepticals to test for his polarity test. whats up with this state inspector ?

purrhops he waz not imprissed widt da installazon. de he/she leaf u a corriction nortice?:grin:

480sparky

What exactly does he want done now? Is it something that may not have been obvious or apparent when he first came out?

grayeagle

inspector23 said:
purrhops he waz not imprissed widt da installazon. de he/she leaf u a corriction nortice?:grin:
the pedistal was allready there so the install was fine. there was no hit list thats why we called him to bring it up to his standerds. today he said that the kitchen needs a gfci. i guess he missed the gfci breaker in the panel. but whats up with the polarity check with the wire from the panel gnd to every receptical gnd ? he wont accept the recptical tester.

inspector23

grayeagle said:
the pedistal was allready there so the install was fine. there was no hit list thats why we called him to bring it up to his standerds. today he said that the kitchen needs a gfci. i guess he missed the gfci breaker in the panel. but whats up with the polarity check with the wire from the panel gnd to every receptical gnd ? he wont accept the recptical tester.

I am not sure I understand "polarity check with the wire from the panel gnd to every receptacle gnd." If the wire is going from the panel gnd to every receptacle gnd, then it would be a continuity check. That is a common test for mobile homes, to insure all the receptacles are properly grounded and not tied in with the grounded conductor. Mobile homes have a four wire system, with the ground wires separated from the grounded (neutral) wires. The slang term for this is called "ringing it out" in my region.

grayeagle

i still dont understand what i wrong with using the recpt, tester. when the 2 orange lights on it light up its wired corretly not reversed or open neuteral or anything. what do you mean 4 wires ?

kbsparky

IF your mobile home is HUD certified, then the kitchen may not be required to have as many GFI-protected receptacles as your standard home.

AS for your plug-in tester, it has no way of determining the difference between the grounded conductor and the grounding conductor. You have to physically disconnect your equipment grounding conductor at the panel to determine whether any inadvertant ground-faults are present.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
since when is an electrician responsible for what's inside the mobile home? i've always been inspected from the meter to the MH panel, and that's it.

Jim W in Tampa

Here that new mobile is under DOT and all the inspector checks is your service and hook up to the mobiles panel.Now if he walks in mobile and sees wires hanging out or something other than factory he could check.That mobile should already been inspected when built.Your not telling us something,the inspector is seeing something wrong.Ask him in nice way as to whats up

dcspector

kbsparky said:
IF your mobile home is HUD certified, then the kitchen may not be required to have as many GFI-protected receptacles as your standard home.

AS for your plug-in tester, it has no way of determining the difference between the grounded conductor and the grounding conductor. You have to physically disconnect your equipment grounding conductor at the panel to determine whether any inadvertant ground-faults are present.

KB, I quoted your intire post and agreed.

Jim W in Tampa

They are to inspect what was permitted.I am not understanding why he is inspecting past the service ?Or is this some hick town and this was his only inspection today ?Your job ended at pedistal,meter hookup to trailer.Tell him to site the violation for job that was permitted.Test beyond that are not yours to do.

mpd

I am confused, if it has the appropiate label there are no visible signs of damage or code violations, and the work done on site is code compliant, its an easy inspection, something does not sound right

inspector23

Charleds Burton said:
Is gfci protection required for recptacles where used for servicing hvac equiptment

My initial response would be yes, if the receptacle is located outside. That said, I am not sure if you are under HUD or any other jusidictional code for mobile homes that predates the NEC requirement for outdoor GFCI protection.

How's that for an inspector answer? - "maybe, maybe not!":D

Seriously, I would contact the AHJ. They know your specifics and can be of better assistance.

Juuuuust another service we provide..............

Last edited:
Common Practice

Common Practice

Is it not common practice to lift the neutral in a four wire service system such as mobile home to check for grounded neutrals since these are life safty issues

GFCI Protection

GFCI Protection

I guess I was not to clear about my first question. I was wandering whether or not GFCI protection would be required in an attic where HVAC equiptment would have to be serviced?

Bea

Jim W in Tampa said:
They are to inspect what was permitted.I am not understanding why he is inspecting past the service ?Or is this some hick town and this was his only inspection today ?Your job ended at pedistal,meter hookup to trailer.Tell him to site the violation for job that was permitted.Test beyond that are not yours to do.

Jim
In the state of Washington we have state inspectors that are FAS inspectors and they inspect electrical circuit alteration in the interior of mobile homes. There could have been an agency request from the city or county building office or fire marshall to perform an inspection of the structure.

Minuteman

grayeagle said:
we tested all curcuits with the basic receptical tester because he wanted a polarity check done, the test was good...

...he want us to take a wire from the pedistal gnd to all the resepticals to test for his polarity test. whats up with this state inspector ?

I do not understand why the electrician must test and/or prove anything. If the inspector wants to check polarity or verify whether or not the neutral and ground are cross connected, let him check it.

I am to busy with other customers to do the inspectors work for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.