How to become an electrician in NH/MA area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, everyone. I'm 32 years old and am looking for a career change. I've always had an interest in becoming an electrician.
Can you help me with the best way to get started? I've heard that applying for an apprenticeship with the local union is one good way. And others have mentioned getting hired as a helper with a contractor.
What's the best way? I don't want to waste my time as a helper if there's a faster way to become an apprentice.
Can anyone recommend any places for me to start in the NH/MA area?
Thank you all in advance for any help or advice you can provide.

cadpoint

Leave it to Stick ...

Your entry into the Trade is will be your own history, other than an Apprenticeship, interview with some electrical outfits. Crack some books, fresh'n up your resume'. Be ready to ask or answer 50 questions...:roll:
Good Luck.

benmin

Occupation
Master Electrician
zosotherover said:
What's the best way? I don't want to waste my time as a helper if there's a faster way to become an apprentice.

helper and apprentice are the same in my area. You have no choice but to start as one.

I think in MA Apprentice and Helper are 2 different things...I'm just starting to do some research.
Anyone from MA/NH suggest starting with a local union apprenticeship vs. just a random contractor? I guess the union would provided education as well?

check it

check it

helper/apprentice is the same thing unless you unless you are an electrical laborer...the union ..well don't wait on it u may never get on.....try some big companies that are just like union shops who provide excellent training like Griffin electric....downside u are only a number to them because they are such a large company.........look for a construction staffing firm for a temp to possible permanent position...If ya work hard you will get hired on...now as for starting off don't expect to be doing alot of electrical work for the first 6 months...maybe half and half.....there is alot of fetching and learning stock and materials...it seems like ur not learning anything but you are you are learning what material u need for the job at hand....remember after u start to get adjusted....look and think ahead of what the licensed guys or higher step apprentices are going to need and give it to them before they ask...that's brownie point right there...my gramps was an electrician and that's one thing he told me when you first start out..always think ahead and if u are unsure of what you are told to do ask again would you rather have wasted 8 hours of work or 5 minutes to go over something again :grin: trust me it's worth it...and remember there are always some electricians that u can always go for advice or guidance others just larn and stay away :cool: hope this helps

haskindm

The electrical trade is very much driven by experience. No matter what schooling you take, and what studying you do on your own, you will need to put in your time. In Maryland, that means working for seven years before taking a Master's exam. There are 5 counties in the state that offer a Journeyman's License and the requirement is four year's experience before taking that exam. You will have to decide if you can afford to be a "helper" (with the pay that goes with it) until you are eligible to be licensed. Electrician is a very tough career to start late.

tonyou812

If you want to get in the industry you might be better off getting yourself into a small to medium size company to start. Maybe 4-10 guys. In a big company or the union you run the risk of being the "coffee" bitch or gopher for a long time, and you don't seem like the type that wants to wait. In a smaller company you have a better chance of working with a good mechanic one on one, and if you show a real interest maybe he wont mind teaching you stuff. But i also highly recommend you get yourself in some kind of school that has an electrical curriculum. like here in New Jersey the Votech school I went to has a State apprentice program and if your employer follows it many times they will pay for your school, as long as you pass all your classes.And there are some benifits to being in a program if your employer follows it. But i should tell you that you really need to have some thick skin if you want to get into the construction buisness. There are some real characters out there. A little ribbing is alright but dont stand for any abuse. Sometimes the company seems cool on the outside but when you get in its not all that its cracked up to be, in that case dont be afraid to move on, youll be surprised how different each company can be from one another.I started rather late for a career but I have learned more than most people that have been doing it for twice/three times the amount of time as me. Its all in what you put into it. I have just recently passed my state liscene exam in NJ and I still read every day about things. As a matter of fact I am doing an online course on UPS systems right now. To me the great thing about this buisness is that there are so many things to learn about and different avenues you can pursue. If you like to learn new things all the time this is the buisness to be in if you like doing the same thing everyday this too can be the buisness to be in. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

haskindm

I started late too, but I was lucky in that my wife was making a good salary and could supplement what I made as a "helper" until I got some experience and got licensed. Many people cannot afford to work for helper's wages once they already have family responsibilities. Electric can be a lucrative career, but you need to crawl before you can walk. If you are unwilling or unable to afford to work for starting wages, you best look elsewhere.

Zippie2223

I started at 34 also, Im 37 now. You have some real advantages to younger people starting in the trade, well at least I did. I started as a helper or "wire puller" and since I was the oldest wire puller I was put in charge very quickly (within a month). I got noticed because I worked hard and had a very good crew. Then one of the ETs (Electrical Techs) took a liking to me and took me under his wing and began teaching me a lot. I did a lot of studying on my own and asked a lot of questions. Left the job after two years for a better job that I had to test into. Got first class electrician pay. I have to wait another year before I can take my Journeyman's License. Loving every minute of it... But DAMN IT HOT!!!!:-?

Last edited:

emahler

you are behind the 8 ball at 32 years old...Not impossible, just very difficult.

Be ready to work 2x as hard and study 2x as much as the 21 kid working next to you. By the time he is 32 he will have 11 yrs experience. You are 32 in age, but 21 in electrical years.

stickboy1375

tonyou812 said:
If you want to get in the industry you might be better off getting yourself into a small to medium size company to start. Maybe 4-10 guys. In a big company or the union you run the risk of being the "coffee" bitch or gopher for a long time, and you don't seem like the type that wants to wait. In a smaller company you have a better chance of working with a good mechanic one on one, and if you show a real interest maybe he wont mind teaching you stuff. But i also highly recommend you get yourself in some kind of school that has an electrical curriculum. like here in New Jersey the Votech school I went to has a State apprentice program and if your employer follows it many times they will pay for your school, as long as you pass all your classes.And there are some benifits to being in a program if your employer follows it. But i should tell you that you really need to have some thick skin if you want to get into the construction buisness. There are some real characters out there. A little ribbing is alright but dont stand for any abuse. Sometimes the company seems cool on the outside but when you get in its not all that its cracked up to be, in that case dont be afraid to move on, youll be surprised how different each company can be from one another.I started rather late for a career but I have learned more than most people that have been doing it for twice/three times the amount of time as me. Its all in what you put into it. I have just recently passed my state liscene exam in NJ and I still read every day about things. As a matter of fact I am doing an online course on UPS systems right now. To me the great thing about this buisness is that there are so many things to learn about and different avenues you can pursue. If you like to learn new things all the time this is the buisness to be in if you like doing the same thing everyday this too can be the buisness to be in. Good luck to you.

Just a quick side note, a reply this long without hitting the enter key from time to time is terribly brutal to read...

Status
Not open for further replies.