Raco side saddle

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbeer

Having seen the box first hand- less than 1/2 the box will be open. I do see now how some of the box would be open, I did not remove the mud guard when I was checking it out so I can't tell how "open" it will be. I agree it with the gray box! wasn't broke and someone "fixed" it anyway!

royta

stickboy1375 said:
Bigger CU Inch... but I would personally wire around this problem... and use the box you suggested...

The bigger Cu In isn't necessary. It's only a ceilng fan with four #14's. 4 x 2.00 = 8 cu in. Even if you were feeding another fan off the same fan controllers, you're only looking at 7 x 2.00 = 14 cu in. Well, I guess that would be a problem with the 1/2" box, but aren't ceilings 5/8" anyway?

A2494.jpg

If the truss isn't in the center of the room, I just end up using one of these, or whatever the wholesaler has like this.
01525_brace.jpg

It sure is faster than cutting a 2x4 and nailing it up.

splinetto

stickboy1375 said:
I was wondering the same thing... Why did they think they needed this product?
I failed a Habitat for Humanity house because I ran a 14/3 to a Fan Pancake and was over on box fill..I had to replace it with one of those boxes and then changed it back on the finish... I just like the screws to go into the box and not into the wood.

stickboy1375

splinetto said:
I failed a Habitat for Humanity house because I ran a 14/3 to a Fan Pancake and was over on box fill..I had to replace it with one of those boxes and then changed it back on the finish... I just like the screws to go into the box and not into the wood.

The canopy counts as box fill, 410.10... and I would take the screws going into wood anyday...

480sparky

You can use the canopy of the fan for additional space. 410.10. I use pancakes as well, but I prefer to sink some screws into the wood.

celtic

splinetto said:
I failed .... on box fill..
I had to replace it with one of those boxes and then changed it back on the finish...
I just like the screws to go into the box and not into the wood.
But running romex diagonally is taboo?

monkey

splinetto said:

What's the difference if the pancake is screwed to the wood or the fan bracket is screwed to the wood???

I thought you could only count the canopy cu. in. if it is stamped on the canopy.

480sparky

monkey said:
What's the difference if the pancake is screwed to the wood or the fan bracket is screwed to the wood???
So I don't need to spend extra time and extra money installing a special fan-rated box.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
410.10 only applies to the fixture conductors not the branch circuit conductors. The outlet box must have sufficient capacity for the branch circuit conductor. 314.16(A) allows the fixture canopy to be included in the box fill calculation if the canopy is marked with its volume.

royta

480sparky said:
I can't understand the need for so much cu. in. WHat do they think we're running up to our fans, 6-3WG?

A fan which required 6-3 would be awesome. That would sure move a lot of air, wouldn't it?

royta

curt swartz said:
410.10 only applies to the fixture conductors not the branch circuit conductors. The outlet box must have sufficient capacity for the branch circuit conductor. 314.16(A) allows the fixture canopy to be included in the box fill calculation if the canopy is marked with its volume.

Has anybody ever seen a canopy so marked? If so, I'm wondering at what price level you start finding that. Home Deport special, Hampton Bay, Hunter, Casablanca, Fanimation?

cadpoint

macmikeman

What I don't get is that since the canopy is expected to cover the hinge part of the box to allow for future access, then why have a hinge cover on it anyway? Nonetheless, now that there is the product, in a few cycles we will have the mandatory rule requiring its use somehow or other, mark my words. :rolleyes:

480sparky

:grin:
royta said:
A fan which required 6-3 would be awesome. That would sure move a lot of air, wouldn't it?

It would probably require the architect and engineer to be in on the installation. With that much power, it may torque the roof right off the house!

Status
Not open for further replies.