500.7 (k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

natfuelbill

Does (K)(2) REQUIRE that CGDS be installed in the area where electrical equipment for unclassified locations is installed?

If CGDS is installed what action is required to be accomplished the the electrical equipment for unclassified locations?

from 2008...

(K) Combustible Gas Detection System. A combustible gas detection system shall be permitted as a means of protection in industrial establishments with restricted public access and where the conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation. Where such a system is installed, equipment specified in 500.7(K)(1), (K)(2), or (K)(3) shall be permitted.
The type of detection equipment, its listing, installation location(s), alarm and shutdown criteria, and calibration frequency shall be documented when combustible gas detectors are used as a protection technique.

(2) Interior of a Building. In a building located in, or with an opening into, a Class I, Division 2 location where the interior does not contain a source of flammable gas or vapor, electrical equipment for unclassified locations shall be permitted. Combustible gas detection equipment shall be listed for Class I, Division 1 or Class I, Division 2, for the appropriate material group, and for the detection of the specific gas or vapor to be encountered.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
No, it isn?t required; it is simply a permissible protection technique under the conditions specified. NFPA rules prohibit the direct mandatory citing of other documents such as API RP 500 mentioned in 500.7(K) FPN No. 2. However API RP 500, Section 6.5 outlines the installation/operation methods CMP 14 anticipated when applying Section 500.7(K)(2).

Since I am generally opposed to CGDS, it?s probably unfair for me to comment further.

Status
Not open for further replies.