ICC Kansas Master Electrician test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaston2

I a question from the Kansas ICC test that had me searching everywhere for the answer, but couldn't find it anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.
Q. Two identical services, one serves only a lighting load and the other serves only motor loads, the short circuit potential of these two services would be

A. Higher for the lighting load
B. Higher for the motor load
C. exactly the same
D. slightly higher for the lighting load

After searching to no avail in the code, I went with C. based on the assumption that the potential energy is the same so I assume the short circuit potential would be the same.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This is absolutely not a code question. It is a physics question, or a design engineering question. The answer is B. When you create a short circuit condition on a system that includes motors, for a very short time the motors act as generators, contributing additional current to the fault point.

Gaston2

Thank you Charlie! I suppose I could challenge this question but based on the posts I've read from those who have challenged, it seems to me that they aren't really concerned with hearing the challenges. So it seems it may be a waste of time. I'll be happy with knowing that I got that one wrong, and if I see it again then I'll get it right the next time. Thank you so much for your input.

acwservices

Was the Master electrician exam that you took for a statewide license or a local license? Just curious if Kansas now has a statewide licensing program.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.