PPE storage location requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandman75

Good morning,

I am looking for information concerning where the PPE must be kept, such as falsh suit, rescue kits, mats, etc. I have looked through the codes and was not able to locate anything which specifies or hits this point. Does anyone have a reference?

Background... Starting a new facility in the M.E. and I am now purchasing the safety equipment. Some requests have come to me to purchase a complete setup for each electrical building, 20 total, but I would prefer purchasing the equipment and keeping it in the central electrical shop and use on an as needed basis. This would be as a cost saving measure, easier means for tracking the equipment and inspection of the equipment. Does any of the codes require keeping the equipment in or near the buildings?

Thank you for your assistance,

Shane

zog

Keep in mind that when the guy is out in the electrical room and needs the PPE he will need to go to the centeral location to get it, or he will be lazy and just work without it.

wtucker

Keep in mind that when the guy is out in the electrical room and needs the PPE he will need to go to the centeral location to get it, or he will be lazy and just work without it.

Amen.

On the other hand, if you use an energized electrical work permit system, you'll find that maybe they'll do more planning and bring what they need with them.

Take a look at OSHA, 29 CFR 1910.132(a) "Protective equipment, including personal protective equipment for eyes, face, head, and extremities, protective clothing, respiratory devices, and protective shields and barriers, shall be provided, used, and maintained in a sanitary and reliable condition..."

1910.132(d)(1)(iii) "Select PPE that properly fits each affected employee."

AND, if you give every electrician his own gear in a duffel or cart, he's much more likely to use it. It'll fit right and won't smell like the last guy who used it. That, too, would be more economical that putting two or more sets of various sizes in 20 buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.