New England Ec's

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

Looks as if y'all may need to get ready for what we in the south know about too well. Hurricane Earl. You may want to stock up on material for service replacements and repair. As for me I'm headed to the outerbanks in the AM to work on two gen. before the storm.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Hurrican Earl.

Hurrican Earl.

Looks as if y'all may need to get ready for what we in the south know about too well. Hurricane Earl. You may want to stock up on material for service replacements and repair. As for me I'm headed to the outerbanks in the AM to work on two gen. before the storm.

yes and home depot and lowe's will sell out of milk bread water generaters sump pumps :grin:

Last edited:

rodneee

How can you wish for a hurricane that can impact people's lives in such a negative way. A good rain, yes, but not a hurricane.

i could not figure out why someone would want a hurricane...so i googled "ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS WHO WANT HURRICANES"....the profile was as follows...this person looks at his boat sitting in the marina...he now realizes that the boat he paid $100,000 two years ago is worth only $40,000...he knows he still owes $60,000 on the loan...it further said this person would also specialize in marina and dockside electrical...so the hurricane leaves him with insurance money for the boat and a large dollar contract to rebuild the marina...PLEASE know this was not me...but this time i will at least bid the reconstruction...

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Nobody wished any thing bad for anyone, but a natural disaster will stimulate the economy in ways the government never could.

Now the bad thing is, is contractors get spoiled after a natural disaster. Block guys that were getting $50 a foot for block wall were suddenly getting $100 a foot for block wall and then a year or so after the earthquake nobody was willing to pay them that kind of money anymore.

One plumber in town was charging $400 just to replace the supply lines on water heaters. He got told to knock it off or face charges.

ceb58

Nobody wished any thing bad for anyone, but a natural disaster will stimulate the economy in ways the government never could.

Now the bad thing is, is contractors get spoiled after a natural disaster. Block guys that were getting $50 a foot for block wall were suddenly getting $100 a foot for block wall and then a year or so after the earthquake nobody was willing to pay them that kind of money anymore.

One plumber in town was charging $400 just to replace the supply lines on water heaters. He got told to knock it off or face charges.

You are correct hoping no one is injured or worst, but it will put people to work. The down side to it is all the rip off artist move into town which in turn makes it harder for the legitimate contractor. But I have found after a hurricane the people that call you for work will be a good customer long after the storm has passed as long as you do a good job at a fair price.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
You are correct hoping no one is injured or worst, but it will put people to work. The down side to it is all the rip off artist move into town which in turn makes it harder for the legitimate contractor. But I have found after a hurricane the people that call you for work will be a good customer long after the storm has passed as long as you do a good job at a fair price.

You bet. You just helped them out during, what could be, one of the most tramatic times in their lives and if you do them good when they know that you are probably going through the same thing, they will be forever grateful.

When the '94 earthquake hit, we were working 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. I got to one house on a Sunday and the lady gave me some attitude about how long it had taken to finally get to her house. I said ma'am I've been working 16 hour days for the last week, I live right down the stree from you, we're sleeping in a tent in the back yard, my wife is six months pregnant and I haven't even seen my house in the day light yet to tell you what kind of damage I have. She said you poor dear, that never crossed my mind, would you like to come in and have a cup of coffee. Ma'am I would love a cup of coffee and we sat and talked for about an hour. I can't tell you what that gesture meant to me at the time.

Nautral disasters have a way of pulling people together and making us stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.