Sump pumps / G.F.I's

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacktar

The local electrical inspector here is requiring basement sump pumps to be connected to a G.F.I. I can't find anything in N.E.C. to support this practice and think that it is begging for a flooded basement. Help

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
210.8(A)(5) requires unfinished basement receptacle outlets to be GFCI protetced,

iwire

Staff member

iwire

Staff member
Alarm is a very prudent measure but won't help much if you are away from home. I like the 240vt pump idea better.

And when the pump fails or the power goes out how is that 240 pump helping them?

My own sump pump is on a GFCI, if it starts tripping the GFCI that will be a sign that I need new pump.

There is no reason a sump pump should trip a GFCI unless there is a problem with the pump.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Question?? Weren't sump pump outlets excempted from GFIC protection provided they were a single plug dedicated outlet??

They still are here in NJ. The NJ code adoption people decided that sump pumps on GFCI's were not a good idea so the exception that existed prior to the 2008 NEC is still in the NJ code as an amendment. I'm totally in favor of the idea that the sump pump not be GFCI protected. If it were required for a 120 volt pump I would install a 240 volt pump instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.