Appliance Cord Lengths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueflash

My recollection is that there is a NEC, or another code, requirement that all appliances can only be manufactured with a maximum length power cord of 6 feet.
Also, that adding a power cord of greater length would void an appliance's UL listing, if the appliance has a UL Listing.
If an appliance does not have a UL Listing, can we have any length power cord?

P.S. I need chapter and verse to show my team members.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Blueflash said:
My recollection is that there is a NEC, or another code, requirement that all appliances can only be manufactured with a maximum length power cord of 6 feet.
Also, that adding a power cord of greater length would void an appliance's UL listing, if the appliance has a UL Listing.

The NEC does not apply to the construction of appliances.

However, there are NEC requirements about how some appliances are used (i.e. vending machines).

Most UL Listings do not address the length of the cord.

RAYMFL

Blueflash said:

Try 422.16

celtic

422.16 - Flexible Cords.
(B) - Specific Appliances.
(1) - Electrically Operated Kitchen Waste Disposers.
(2) - The length of the cord shall not be less than 450 mm (18 in.) and not over 900 mm (36 in.).

[ 422.16(B)(1)(2) ]

You might need to be a bit more specific then simply saying "all appliances can only be manufactured with a maximum length power cord of 6 feet."

Some appliances do not even come with a cord attached..diswashers, for example. They can be either corded OR hardwired.
[ 422.16(B)(2) ]
422.16(B)(2) Built-in Dishwashers and Trash Compactors.
Built-in dishwashers and trash compactors shall be permitted to be cord-and-plug connected with a flexible cord identified as suitable for the purpose in the installation instructions of the appliance manufacturer where all of the following conditions are met.

(skipped to show length)

422.16(B)(2)(2) The length of the cord shall be 0.9 m to 1.2 m (3 ft to 4 ft) measured from the face of the attachment plug to the plane of the rear of the appliance.

Last edited:

tallguy

Dennis Alwon said:
Ah yes -- vacuum cleaners have a good 10 or 12 foot cord on them.

If you consider that an appliance
ap?pli?ance
n.
1. A device or instrument designed to perform a specific function, especially an electrical device, such as a toaster, for household use.
Household use? Doesn't get used in our household, so... no... not an appliance.:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.