separating circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys looked a 3 family service with a public ,it used to be a single but it was split up 30 years ago ,but still only has one meter.Now before I do the service I would have to split up the circuits ,but Im almost positive there will be circuits crossed between units .I mentioned this to the owner and he said to use my best judgement and it will be a project for next year ,but for now he needs the new service so he can rent out the apartments as a leagle 3 family .My question is can this come back on me or should I have something drawn up to cover my butt?Are there any codes to reference for this ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Let me get this straight. The guy wants to make this a 3 family home but does not want to pay to split the circuits so that one apt. is not feeding into the other. I don't think so-- I would walk.

How would you satisfy this article

210.25 Branch Circuits in Buildings with More Than One Occupancy.
(A) Dwelling Unit Branch Circuits. Branch circuits in each dwelling unit shall supply only loads within that dwelling unit or loads associated only with that dwelling unit.
(B) Common Area Branch Circuits. Branch circuits required for the purpose of lighting, central alarm, signal, communications, or other needs for public or common areas of a two-family dwelling, a multifamily dwelling, or a multi-occupancy building shall not be supplied from equipment that supplies an individual dwelling unit or tenant space.

iwire

Staff member
In my area that would be allowed for an existing rental building but the electricity would have to be included in the rent.

When I spoke to him he said he will apply for all the meters him self and have them in his name ,and that right now electricity is included with rent ,maybe he can right this off on his taxes .But not sure if that will be the case when this is done

wireguy8169

I was going to say what iwire said, my brother in law moved into a place a 1 bedroom well his first electric bill was like 180bucks here he had the hall heat electric, lights, and some basement stuff on with his panel. So the utility told the landlord either split it up or change that electric is included. Walk while you have nothing vested...

russ

It may or may not pass inspection because of zoning laws. If this is zoned as single family residency, it may have to be rezoned to a multi-family residence.
At least that's the way it works in some areas.

Split Bolt

I know in this economy, it's hard to walk away from work, but you need to consider how this may affect your future. You don't want to get a reputation of being a hack with the AHJ, POCO or the next poor bastard who this guy calls to do electrical work in the unit! It doesn't matter who is taking responsibility for it, you are doing the work! As Bob Evans used to say: "Down on the farm, we do it right or we don't do it!";)

No don't want that rep.but he didn't say he wasn't going to do it he just said he only can afford the service but is aware of this problem.the city said it is fine as a three family but wants sepaate meters. Maybe before i take the job i will give him a quote to trace the circuits out and see how bad it is so he has an idea of how bad this is gonna be

resistance

Sounds like zoning requirements to me--if they want three separate meters. Red flag: The electrical department is sometimes separate from the building department. The electrical department may be fine with the three meters being installed, yet later the building department may be notified of the three meters, and they may try to verify if the structure is built per building code for three units. Ex: Fire walls......etc...........etc.. I just had a customer with a simular situation. My inspector was fine with it, but I decided to call the building departments engineer, and they said they are fine with two meters (Obviously) being on the house, but will require an inspection of the structure to see if it meet their building code requirements--as it relates to an apartment for their specific zone. Meaning: You guys may not have a problem getting all the electrical installed, but to find out the structure does not meet building code requirements.

Last edited:
Actually I got the job from an engineer who is designing a rear deck to provide a second means of eagress for the 3rd floor apartment so he must be going through the motions with the city ,but i will check

Status
Not open for further replies.