210.63 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a new buisness and I just hooked up with a good size HVAC installer. He called me because he know me through a family member. He wants me to just hook up his a/c units and blowers for him . We kinda got into it, because I asked if there was a rec. on the outside. He said that was olny for new construction , now I know I have been red flaged for this in the past . I also told him that the NEC was the min. you can do, and that a local might want more .... what do you think ?

nyerinfl

I don't entinerly understand your question, but a receptacle is required a la 210.63 within 25 ft for servicing, so if you upgrade it and its getting inspected, better have it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
recept

recept

Cooper, If you are new in business and this is a potential good customer, I might suggest you do the install wihout installing the outlet and make sure the inspector knows the situation. Once you are red-tagged you can installed the outlet, perhaps as an "extra", and the inspector becomes the "bad guy". It can be a win-win for you...by discussing it with the inspector beforehand, he knows you are not trying to go around him or not lacking code knowlege and the HVAC contractor learns you know your business.

cadpoint

augie47 said:
Cooper, If you are new in business and this is a potential good customer, I might suggest you do the install wihout installing the outlet and make sure the inspector knows the situation. Once you are red-tagged you can installed the outlet, perhaps as an "extra", and the inspector becomes the "bad guy".
It can be a win-win for you...by discussing it with the inspector beforehand, he knows you are not trying to go around him or not lacking code knowlege and the HVAC contractor learns you know your business.

What's that, the pre hand shake of the hand shake, the HVAC, "future client", might have a test in-mind ? Would he stand proper to explain either of those two situations, if he even gets a chance ? No, I don't like that thought at all.
I never did any business to make me look smarter, it showed through for its self worth. That just to much Drama. IMO.
Put it in a proposal, or P.O., it just something called work, its not show and tell time, its business time.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Cooper Electrical said:
I also told him that the NEC was the min. you can do, and that a local might want more .... what do you think ?

There are no local amendments to the NEC in New Jersey. As far as interpretation goes, IMO the new HVAC unit would trigger the requirement for the receptacle within 25'. But that doesn't mean that every inspector in every town would require one.

Cavie

A receptical within 25 for is for new construction. It is not required for replacement of an old a/c system or adding a/c to an old house that had none. That's like telling me I must run a new 4 wire circuit if I buy a new Range for old house.

Energize

Cavie said:
A receptical within 25 for is for new construction. It is not required for replacement of an old a/c system or adding a/c to an old house that had none. That's like telling me I must run a new 4 wire circuit if I buy a new Range for old house.

If I understand your position correctly, and follow your logic, are you saying I do not need a disconnect or follow conductor sizing requirements if I am "adding a/c to an old house" since it is not "new construction"? That doesn't seem right.

celtic

Cavie said:

Not really.

An range is sold with the conditions that is meet the and/or requirements of 250.140

An AC unit is not covered under these proviosions/idealogy.

infinity said:
IMO the new HVAC unit would trigger the requirement for the receptacle within 25'. But that doesn't mean that every inspector in every town would require one.
Statements I completely agree with.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
no disrespect to cadpoint or his position, but that was a major point of my post to Cooper...this ruling might differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction,,,his experience might have been different than Coopers...voice your concern (opinon), do the job, get your inpection....

Cavie

Let's just say that I owned an electric company for Ten years and managed the Electric Division of an A/C company for 5 years and did 100's of installs and never had to add an outlet. I guess we do things different down south in the land of Sunshine.:cool:

cadpoint

augie47 said:
no disrespect to cadpoint or his position, but that was a major point of my post to Cooper...this ruling might differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction,,,his experience might have been different than Coopers...voice your concern (opinon), do the job, get your inpection....
Having read enough NJ posts, I realize that its different up there.

The part of doing business is being the professional, that in getting work they know the requirements, NEC and in this case, their little part of the fine Garden State.
No problem ...

benaround

I don't see where the NEC mentions 'new construction" or 'exception for existing dwellings'

It is what it is, install per code or violate it, what different juristictions allow,

or better said, let slide, does not change the violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.